Chapter Six, Return to Society

Kerenza was nervous as hell. Tonight was the ball that she was attending with Ross, the night she returned to society and she couldn't be more nervous. "Calm down Kerenza everything will be fine." Verity, Ross' cousin soothed she did my hair for the ball. She styled my red hair in tight curls with the sides pinned back slightly. The dress was gorgeous it's was a short sleeved light green coloured dress with a mix of dark green and ruffles that showed off each layer to the dress.

"Are you sure Demelza can't come Verity? We've always done everything together

"Are you sure Demelza can't come Verity? We've always done everything together."
Kerenza asked nervously, she's always done everything with her elder twin sister.
"I am sorry my dear." Verity said apologetically as she rested her hands on the young woman's shoulder. "But you will have Ross and I There with you." Kerenza knew that of course she did but it still didn't make her not want her sister there. She knew as her sister is not courting anyone (like her and Ross) as their family had gone bankrupt due to the Warleggans greed, it would not be proper for Ross to arrive with her who he was courting, and two other women, especially as Verity and Demelza had no one.

"What if we set Demelza up with Ross' friend Captain Ben Henshawe and then we can find you someone at the ball Verity." Kerenza said beaming back at her dear friend in the mirror. Verity laughed and shook her head at friend. Kerenza was really too sweet for this world, she had a heart of gold and she could see why Ross feared what could happen to her. "If you like my dear." Verity answered smiling softly at her. She knew by now when Kerenza set her mind to it there was no stopping her. "Good I want you two to be happy. You deserve that Verity, you and Demelza both." Kerenza insisted as she finished putting the makeup on.

"Thank you my dear. Come we must get you in your dress before Ross starts telling us to hurry up." Verity said she helped her friend into her dress lacing her up. She truly loved Kerenza as a sister and she could see the young woman treated and loved her just the same as she did Demelza. She couldn't help compare how Kerenza treated her to how Elizabeth treated her, she knew she shouldn't as Elizabeth was engaged to her brother but she couldn't help it. Kerenza treated everyone as equal no matter if they were higher or lower class and she could see why Ross loved her so fiercely. "Oh sister!" Demelza gasped coming into the room seeing her baby sister ready for the Ball. "You look beautiful Ross won't know what hit him." Demelza smirked as a light blush spread across her sisters cheeks.