Prologue

Thank you to Arcstark for the amazing banner

Prologue.

Kerenza lay awake, the silvery light of the full moon slipped through the silky curtains of her room casting strange shadows, shadows she used to fear as a little girl. She wasn't afraid of the night anymore, it gave her a chance to think over the day's events; to get her head around everything that happened. She stared up at the ceiling her hands clasped across her stomach as she listened to her sister Demelza's gentle breathing as she thought, replaying her conversation with Ross Poldark from earlier that day:

~ Start of Flashback~

They were sat by the cliff side, a blanket stretched out beneath them as they watched the noon tide roll in and out, the gentle but icy sea breeze blowing strands of hair around her face. "You don't have to go Ross. You'd be welcome to stay with us. Mama and Papa would love to see you again." Kerenza said, breaking the silence as she brushed the fiery red strands of hair behind her ears. She glanced out of the corner of her eyes at Ross, he was still staring out to sea, she could almost hear his mind whirring away as he thought about his reply. Finally Ross glanced over at her as he began to speak, "It's this or gaol and I would not have any harm befall you or your family on my behalf. Your family have been very kind to me over these past few years and that is something I know I may never be able to repay. It's best if I go."
"But -" Kerenza started to argue but Ross interrupted her, running a hand through his already untidy hair, "Listen. I'll come and visit you before I leave tomorrow, that I can promise."

~ End of Flashback~

Kerenza sighed, "Do you think he will come?" She asked the night air, hoping that Demelza wasn't asleep already.
"Of course he will." Demelza's sleepy reply whispered through the night, "Ross Poldark never breaks a promise. Now try to get some sleep." Kerenza nodded to herself, "You are right. It's wrong of me to judge him, he will come." The sheets of Demelza's bed rustled as she sat up, her bare feet padding silently across the floor as she tapped Kerenza on the shoulder. Kerenza shuffled sideways giving her sister room to lay down. "He's never let you down, Kerenza. He won't intend to start now." Demelza whispered to her younger twin.

"I know. I just wish he would not head out to war." Kerenza murmured, blinking back tears as they stung her eyes. "Father will take care of him," Demelza whispered, "Try to sleep." Kerenza nodded shutting her eyes with a yawn. Tomorrow was going to be a long day and she would need her rest.

 Tomorrow was going to be a long day and she would need her rest