Maraschino Cherries

Josh's hair was like cherries. Red, perfect, shiny... And Tyler couldn't wait to get his hands on it. Plus, they both sat behind that counter, right where Tyler couldn't get at them.

He sighed, flipping his kickstand down. He would never be able to talk to Josh without losing all confidence, let alone touch him.

He was like an angel, delivering ice cream to the good people of Columbus, Ohio instead of divine interventions.

The small bell dinged as Tyler went into the ice cream shop. It alerted Josh of a new customer, making a broad smile spread across his face as he welcomed his most frequent customer.

"Hi, Tyler."

"Hey, Josh." Tyler sat himself down on one of the cherry-colored stools, a cloud hanging above his head.

"What's wrong?" Josh asked. His face lit up in a sketch of worry, he stopped cleaning the malt maker and focused on Tyler.

"It's nothing. I'm sure you can't be bothered with something like this." Waving away the very thought of finally confessing his love to him, Tyler's eyes shifted to the display case to his left.

Josh seemed to notice. "Well, I'm sure it's not something that can't be solved by a butter pecan cone."

He moved to take out a clean scooper when Tyler stopped him. "That sounds great, but could you...put some maraschino cherries on top?"

Quirking his smile into a confused albeit interested one, he replied, "That's an odd combination. But hey," he took out the scooper, brandishing it as if it was such a simple thing, "It's your cone, bud."

'Bud.' Tyler despised being called that, especially by him. Not too fond memories were tied to that pet name, and the boy that he loved using it? No thank you.

Josh gave him the fully prepared cone, along with another one of his sugary-sweet smiles. When Tyler reached for his wallet, he refused.

"A free cone can help a bad day. On the house, no worries. You just let that buttery-pecany goodness work its magic." said Josh.

It was a fleeting moment of eye contact between the two, but Tyler savored it. Treasured it. It was so...calming. Tyler felt like he could do anything.

"T-Thanks, Josh."

"Of course. I'll see you around, man. Always have." With a one-finger salute, Josh watched Tyler walk out of the door and grab his bike.

One lingering look over his shoulder as he walked his bike down the sidewalk with one hand, and Tyler was beat. Josh sure had him whipped, if he only knew.