Raspberry Syrup

"There was something wrong yesterday. The forest was...quiet. No sounds, no nothing. Like it was distracted."

Tyler wasn't listening. After almost being caught sneaking back in the night before, he didn't want to set off any reaction in his father, so he nodded along and agreed with everything.

His mother, not only feeling but looking better, shuffled into the kitchen with her three youngest trailing behind her. When Madison saw Tyler at the small circle table, she jumped up into his lap.

Tyler could tell she was eager to hear all about the date, and he was eager to tell her. He'd wait until his father went into town for gun polish.

Once he had left, with a wary look back at his own family, everyone seemed to breathe easier. It wasn't a good sign when that happened.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Their mother asked, awaiting instructions from the great breakfast connoisseur Zack Joseph.

"French toast!"

"Tyler, do you want any? I know you're tired, so I can save you some." She began pulling out things for the breakfast, coughing a little.

"No, I'm just gonna...I'm gonna go get some sleep. Thanks anyway." He set Madison down, promising to tell her about the date later, and kissed his mom on the cheek.

He hated leaving her alone with the hellions, but he was exhausted, and he'd finally have some peace and quiet.

Closing his eyes as he buried himself under his blankets, he sighed and settled. It wasn't long before sleep over came him, and he was in a dream state.

Josh stood in front of him, mouth turned up into a small smirk. He came closer to him, hands being placed on his hips. Tugging his body to his, Josh kissed him sweetly.

It morphed into a harder one, yet still maintaining that sense of sweetness. Suddenly, Tyler was shoved back onto his bed, and he yelped.

"Shhhh," Josh quieted him, "They can't hear you."

His head went down, pulling off Tyler's shirt and kissing his bare chest. The muscles in his torso tensed as Josh's lips went down, lower and lower until he got to his pants.

"J-Josh, are y-you sure?" He sputtered, squirming under Josh. He locked eyes with the boy, a devilish look flashing in them.

"I'm sure, baby. I need to make you feel good."

The zipper on his pants went down, and Tyler felt Josh's hand roughly grab what was poking though the open zipper.

A gasp was forced out of Tyler's open mouth. He threw his head back and let Josh do what he had wanted for so long.

Everything was perfect at that exact moment as dream Josh serviced him, teeth just barely causing a sensation that sent Tyler reeling.

And then it all ended.

His utopia was short-lived, due to the kids jumping on Tyler, screaming in horror.

"Mommy collapsed!"

"She coughed up red stuff!"

"She's not waking up!"

Tyler, hearing the urgency in their voices and words, ran out of the room and found her brindled in blood on the kitchen floor.

"Mom!" He cried, rushing over to her and picking half of her body up over his lap.

She was barely breathing, her eyes rolling into the back of her head. She was clearly struggling to stay awake, coughing up the crimson liquid.

"Get me the house phone!" Tyler screamed an order at his terrified, crying siblings. He didn't mean to scare them, but his heart was going 100 miles an hour and his brain was panicked.

Madison, ever the brave, sprinted through the house as fast as her legs could carry her and found the phone. She gave it to Tyler, tears streaming down her face.

He dialed 911, yelling into the speaker their address and what happened. Knowing an ambulance was en route, he threw the phone down and cradled his mother in his arms, crying.

"It'll be okay, there's an ambulance coming...it's okay..."

She was barely conscious when the paramedics burst in, hoisting her up onto a gurney and wheeling her out. Tyler climbed into the ambulance with her, a police officer promising to keep the kids safe.

He held her hand as they drove through town, watching with a horror-filled heart as they fed her oxygen and tried to determine the cause of her bleeding.

What Tyler didn't know was that the dream he had just experienced had been erased from his mind by the unknown source. The memory of Josh was gone.