Candy Leaves

Fairy lights had been strung up along the tree line, illuminating everything in Josh's yard. Not that it needed any more illumination, seeing as how they had constructed a fire in the fire pit.

They sat together between the trees after taking down the hammock. Josh insisted they sit there.

A small, juvenile tree was just beyond the fire pit, and Josh couldn't take his eyes off of it. Tyler noticed maybe twenty minutes into their sitting together and cocked his head.

Josh had always acted odd, but this staring off into space, or rather, at a tree through lambent flames, was new. Different.

"Josh?" Tyler whispered, shaking their interconnected hands. He snapped Josh out from the thousand-yard stare quickly.

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember when we...we first met?"

"Of course."

"Can you maybe...tell me?"

"What, you can't remember?"

Tyler felt ashamed that he couldn't. No paranoia was in his mind; he believed it was just a horrible memory. It seemed it was all he had of Josh. Memories.

Josh took his silence as a yes, along with a cue to recant the story.

"It was a year ago, during the summer. You had your bike route, just started it, actually, and you were dying for something cold. You came in and...sat down on the stool." Josh laughed, gesturing with his free hand.

"And you looked absolutely adorable, all red faced and panting. I gave you a napkin so you could blot the sweat."

It was forming in Tyler's head now. He could remember it, remember how Josh's hair was a bright red that long ago, and it had faded now. Almost a pink. But back then, Josh was just as beautiful as he was now. His sweetness hadn't faded one bit.

"Do you remember now?" Josh suggested, eyebrows raised.

Blinking rapidly, Tyler let out a small, "Yes."

"Good."

Josh returned to looking at the tree, leaving Tyler to replay their first meeting all over again in his head. Over and over again, until he could remember the shirt Josh had been wearing under his apron.

It was a dark green, with small, slightly lighter green leaves winding up the right side. It was funny how they had just been talking about the forest, and now there was the image of Josh wearing a very forest-like shirt.

Tyler supposed it made sense, though. He loves the forest. He could tell he was deeply devoted to it, and it helped him find peace.

His dad sure would hate him.

"Tyler, did I tell you about that tree?" Josh spoke suddenly, eyes trained on the small tree through the flames.

"No. Why?"

"Because ever I was born, that tree has been at the same height. It's never matured."

"What does that-"

"It means something's wrong with it. I remember my mom telling me that I would never stay away from it. I'd water it, wrap it up in a blanket in the winter. Thing is...it creeps me out."

"If it creeps you out, why don't you...I don't know, cut it down?"

"Because it's still a tree. I won't ever cut down a tree, especially these two." He nodded to the one on his left, which seemed to bow down its branches in response.

"Alright, alright. We can look into it."

Seeing the dying flames, Tyler gasped. "What time is it?"

Josh looked at his watch. "2:34."

"It's 2 in the morning, oh my god, my dad is gonna kill me! I have to get home, I have to-"

"Tyler, calm down. It's alright. You'll be fine." Josh attempted to calm him by getting up from his chair and kneeling down in front of him.

"Even if he does touch you, I'll kick his ass. I have more power than you think."

"Thanks but-but I should just go. Will I see you tomorrow? Or I guess, later today?" He stood up, burying his face in Josh's chest as they melted into a hug.

"Stop by the shop after your route and I'll make sure you get some sleep. I keep a pillow and a blanket in the back for my naps." Josh said with a hearty chuckle.

"Mhm, that sounds good..." Tyler hummed in anticipatory glee. He couldn't wait to nap with Josh, his arms around him and keeping him safe.

"So let's get you home."

"No, no, I'll go myself. If my dad sees me with you, he'll-"

"Kill you?"

Tyler shook his head. "Yeah, I guess. But I'll see you later."

"Bye, Tyler. Sweet dreams."

One final goodbye kiss, and Tyler reluctantly left. As he walked away, he stopped for a moment. He could have sworn he heard Josh talking to someone.

And someone talking back.