Kise- When He's Hurt

My son Ryouta always had a habit of getting hurt. I made it a point to always carry band aids and other first aid supplies in my purse or pocket. He always managed to get hurt wherever we were.

Whether it was when he's at the park. Or even if he's in the car. Sometimes he even gets hurt in the bathtub and I have to send Taiga up there with a bandaid.

I'm used to him getting hurt by now, but it still makes me upset to see him get hurt every time. I heard a loud thump from upstairs and was getting ready to hear crying but it never came. I put down to dishes and walked to the bottom of the stairs.

"Ryouta? Are you okay?"

"Yes Mamacchi! I just dropped something!"

I heard a slight crack in his voice and knew he was lying. I made sure I had a bandaid in my pocket and started up the stairs. I went to his room and saw him on the ground looking at his knee while tears were about to spill from his eyes.

"Ryouta. You're hurt. Why did you lie?"

I sat in front of him and started putting the bandaid on his knee before looking up and starting to wipe away the tears that were falling down his face. He started crying while trying to explain.

"I- hic- know how much- hic- you don't like- hic- when I get hurt so- hic- I didn't want to make- hic- you mad because- hic- I got hurt again so- hic- I decided to- hic- lie so I wouldn't- hic- make you- hic- m-mad and- hic-"

"Ryouta. Calm down." I shushed him while I sat down and held him in my lap. He was crying into my shirt. "I'm not mad. I never get mad when you get hurt."

"R-really?"

"Yes really. It makes me sad to see my little boy get hurt. I never get mad just because you hurt yourself."

"Mamacchi..."

"It's okay Ryouta. Your knee should be fine soon okay?"

"Mamacchi. My knee hurts."

"I know sweetie. I'll get you some ice and we can have some ice cream okay?"

"With sprinkles and cherries?"

"Sure sweetie."

"Yay!" I laughed as I picked him up and walked downstairs before sitting him at the table and making som ice cream for us.

Later that night we were watching a movie with Taiga and he asked about the bandaid on Ryouta's knee. We told him he hurt himself and I stopped.

"Ryouta. How did you scratch up your knee anyways?"

"I looked out my window and saw a bird with a worm in its mouth. I don't like worms. I jumped back and slipped on my toy car. I think it was a fire truck actually. Anyways, my knee hit the corner of my dresser. It hurt really bad. I'm surprised I'm alive."

Taiga and I chuckled at the way he told the story and I just sat him in my lap before kissing his cheek.

"Mamacchi. It's not my cheek that's hurt. And that tickles." He laughed.

"I know." I said before Taiga and I started tickling him just to hear his laugh.

I may get sad when he gets hurt but when I let him explain is when he makes me laugh at least just a little. Because of the smile he wears as though he just won the war.