~CHAPTER 21~

Glow was leaning over the balcony in front of Scarlet and Glory. She, Corona, and Evenstar were watching intently as the SkyWing guards dropped a hissing blue IceWing into the arena. Clay looked desperate, as if he realized that this was probably a bad idea. Glow nervously looked around in the crowd for Umbalite, hoping at least her kind and generous presence was enough to ease Glow's nerves. Her amber eyes spotted the magenta-and-violet clad SkyWing concealed behind a couple burly SkyWings. Unfortunately, it did nothing to calm Glow down.

       Corona elbowed Glow harshly and Evenstar struggled to sneak underneath Glow's wing even further. "What do you think you're doing? Trying to buy Sunny? Have you gone crazy? You realize the dragonets of destiny will probably hate you now, right?" Corona hissed quietly.-

       Glow rolled her eyes. "Do you honestly think that Scarlet's going to keep up her end of the bargain?" She began. Corona's black eyes softened slightly. "What I'm buying is time." Glow explained.

       Corona still looked unconvinced. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Corona asked cautiously.

       "Don't worry, I can handle it" Glow reassured. I hope.

       Glow directed her attention to Vermilion strutting into the arena confidently. From the corner, he began to bellow at the dragons in the stadium. "After last month's battle with Blaze's army, our queen's dungeons were stuffed with IceWing prisoners of war. Only nine have survived. After two wins, I give you – Fjord of the IceWings!" Although his voice projected confidence, his face betrayed his façade.

       Fjord lashed his tail and snarled at Clay.

       "And in this corner, an unusual case – a MudWing, but not one of our allies. No, this dragonet was found hiding under our mountains, protected by the Talons of Peace. Is he one of the dragonets of destiny? Not if he loses this battle!" The red dragon joked.

       There was a murmur of laughter rippling throughout the seats, although Glow and Corona snickered a bit too, surprisingly. Even in this grim situation, Vermilion had a sense of humour, although Glow wasn't entirely sure whether that was a good or bad thing. After all, it was kind of necessary for Clay to survive in order for the prophecy to come true. "If these prophesized dragonets are as wonderful and legendary as they're supposed to be, this should be a showdown to remember. I hope you're prepared to impress us, dragon of the mud. I present to you...Clay of the MudWings!" The seats erupted with blood-thirsty cheers. "Claws up, teeth ready! Fight!"

       This was it. Clay needed to prove that he was capable, or Pyrrhia would lose one of its only hopes. Glow felt her stomach turn in anticipation as Fjord began slithering towards him. Fjord was only a head bigger than him, but as Fjord was circling him like a mountain lion, Clay seemed small in comparison. Glow was feeling her teeth physically chatter with fear and felt Corona and Evenstar grip her talons tightly.

       Glow could faintly hear Clay's soft and nervous voice. "Uh, hello. Fjord, right?" Fjord stopped and stared at him. "I've never met an IceWing. I've never met much of anyone, really. I mean, I guess I read that you were all the colour of ice, but I didn't realize that ice came in so many colours. Like, you know, blue. Very surprising. It's cool, though. Oh, ha ha, no pun intended." Glow stared at him bewildered.

       "Boooo! More blood! More death! Somebody bite somebody!" Several dragons called from the stadium. Glow merely watched in horror. Clay, what are you doing? You're going to get yourself killed!

       "Are you trying to get us both killed? Shut up and let me kill you." Fjord growled.

       "I'd rather not." Clay said, stumbling backwards. Glow eyed Starflight frantically flailing his tail and bound wings trying to tell him something. She wondered if she should do the same, but decided it'd be best to get his attention undivided. Starflight was gesturing towards his mouth. Glow looked back towards Fjord and realized he was getting ready to use his frostbreath and felt her own claws go numb. Clay ducked and rolled out of the way just in time, with only the tip of his wing brushing the shimmering cloud of ice.