~CHAPTER 35~

Glow was flying with Condor and Corona underneath their companions, Ore, Combustion, Charcoal, and Flashover. Avalanche was just underneath them and One-Eye, or Flint (she'd have to ask him what name he preferred after they rescued Kite), in the lead. Corona and Glow left behind their white capes, for once, so they could keep a low profile when there were thousands of soldiers in the air searching the sky. Glow found it ironic in this situation that she felt safer without it, because it was supposed to be a signal to other dragons not to attack them. Not anymore. She thought regretfully. Not here.

       Except right now, she wasn't out to steal a bargain. She was out to rescue her friend and little brother.

      As the high-peaked mountains were disappearing behind them, the jagged talons of apprehension gripped her very core and sunk in deep, not letting go. As Glow was preparing herself mentally to battle against Cinnabar and at least a dozen other SkyWing soldiers, the memory of the silver-winged SkyWing holding her into the sand blazed in her mind's eye. This wasn't going to be like the battle with the NightWings when they retreated because they had neither the time nor the resources to spend on a petty squabble (even though they started it).

       This also wasn't going to be like when Scarlet stopped Burn from killing her (she didn't like to admit that her evil mother saved her life). Cinnabar would do whatever it took to keep Kite and never let him go. That meant she was probably ready to kill Glow and Corona, but she wasn't sure what she would do to her former friends, or her former commanding officer. Would she kill them, or imprison them? Did she even still care about them? And what's she going to do when Condor faces her?

       Glow didn't want to lie to herself when she thought about what she was going to do. She was going to do whatever it took to save Kite and bring him back home. The problem was that she didn't know if she was ready to kill Cinnabar or any of her soldiers just doing what they were ordered. How was Kite going to view her if she did kill them? Would he be happy that they saved him? Or would he be disappointed in her, or worse, afraid of her. In fact, could she even kill Cinnabar.

       That was probably her biggest concern.

       A part of her hoped that he would be happy if Glow killed Cinnabar to save him, but the rest of her conscience knew that he wouldn't. No matter how horrible or abusive Cinnabar was to Kite, and how terrified he was of her, she was still his mother. He wouldn't be happy with her dead. But what if Cinnabar didn't give Glow a choice?

       It wasn't an easy decision to make. There are no simple solutions. No matter what, there was no morally pleasing ending and that nuance was difficult to stomach.

       "Condor! You're banking too far left!" Avalanche's shout pulled Glow out of her thoughts and she noticed the black-winged SkyWing almost get blown off course.

       "Sorry, my eyesight hasn't been faring well for the past few years." Condor admitted shyly. "How long until we reach the cave, father?" He asked anxiously.

      "Fifteen minutes." One-Eye said dryly.

       Glow noticed that Corona was struggling to keep up with the brisk SkyWings. While she remained by Glow's side, she could tell that Corona was beginning to tire.

       "Do you want to hold onto my tail?" Glow offered.

       Corona scoffed. "No, I'm alright. I can keep up with you SkyWings. All this time spent racing you is going to be worth it." She refused.

       Glow wasn't fooled.

       "Corona, it's okay." The SandWing wore a rather disgruntled expression. "Besides, you'll need your strength for when we fight the SkyWings. I have a feeling this will be tough."