Chapter 1

Chapter 1-

"Hey,  Logan!" I heard Veronica yell at the end of the hallway, I changed the direction I was headed to and walked over to her instead. "I just.. um, I wanted to thank you for what you did yesterday. I don't know where my head was at."

"Don't mention it, really." I smiled. "I did what I had to do."

"Um, well thank you again." She said shyly as she pulled her books closer to her chest ready to leave.

"Are you going to Pete's party tonight?" I asked quickly.

"Yeah, I guess." She replied.

"Well, I guess I'll see you there!" I smiled and walked home.

**

"Logan, where were you?" My mother stood near the kitchen door. She looked slightly mad but most of all, she was worried.

"I was at school. I had to walk home, I forgot to take my car." I lied.

"No, you didn't forget to take your car. Not the same excuse, Logan. You never take your car to school so where were you?" She repeated.

"I forgot to turn in my late assignments after school." I lied again.

"Logan, why are you lying to me?" she asked.

"Where's grandma? You told she came by earlier." I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Oh, about that.. she just left, I'm sorry." She paused. "And I know what you're trying to do, don't change the subject. Logan, why are you lying to me?"

"Why are you?"

"Logan, I-"

"Save it." I said as I headed upstairs to my room.

I hated treating her like that but I still hated the fact that she'd always lie to me. Grandma was sick, she was at the hospital and she never left. She never came by. Once again, she lied just to get me to come around. It never worked before so why did she try it again? I heard a knock on the door but I decided to ignore it. She was only here to apologize, not tell the truth. I actually didn't remember the last time she had told me the truth. The sound of my door opening caught my ear and I turned.

"Logan, I'm.. I'm just worried about you." She hesitated.

"Worried?" I snorted. "Is that what people call lying these days?"

"I wasn't lying to you, Logan. Like I said, I'm just worried about you."

"Mum, please just stop." I said, trying to control my anger. "Not the 'I never lie to you' speech. You and I both know that you were lying when you told me that dad went out of town when in reality you filed a divorce and he only left because you told him to. You and I both know that Grandma has been living in that hospital for 3 months and she never left because of her condition. If you wanna keep it a secret from me, then keep it. Just don't lie to me."

She stayed silent. She didn't know what to do or say. She knew I was right and there was nothing she could do about it. She left my room without another word.

**

When we arrived at the party, it was crowded with people. Drunk people. There was no one I knew at that party so I decided to look for Veronica. The intolerable smell of alcohol met my nose and I almost puked. I hated alcohol. There was a group of boys by the pool playing truth or dare, nearly yelling to be heard over the loud music. The house was not as crowded as the backyard. As I looked around, I realized that it was a pool party. A few people were in the kitchen getting refills on their drinks and two girls were passed out at the bottom of the stairs.

I left the kitchen and started for the living room. And there she was. Veronica sitting in Pete's lap. Of all the people at this party, she chose Pete.

"Veronica." I almost yelled causing her to drop her cup on the floor and fall backwards onto the couch.

"Logan, what are you doing here?" Veronica asked innocently.

"You know I'd be here?" I said as if it was the most obvious thing.

"Oh, right." She said dumbfounded. Pete left as she rose up and tried to walk but ended up twisting her ankle and falling head-first onto the ground. I walked over to her and helped her up.

"Are you drunk?" I asked.

"What? Me? no, of course not." She coughed a few times to cover up her lie.

"Let's get you home." I said.

"No, I can't. My mum would kill me if she found out I went to this party. Please just let me crash here, or at your place."

After a few minutes of thinking and her staring at me with a hopeful look I said, "I'll get us a hotel room. Just call your mother and tell her you're sleeping over at one of your friends' house and I'll do the same. Just let your friend know just in case your mother calls her."

"Thank you." She smiled. "Let me just grab my stuff."

I nodded as she walked over to the stairs, trying not to step over one of the passed out girls and went upstairs to Pete's room. I followed her upstairs to Pete's bathroom. As soon as I touched the doorknob, I felt a tingle. I held it firmly and my hand started shaking. I pushed the door open but there was no one in the bathroom. I stepped in and the door closed behind me. I turned around and opened it again but it closed by itself once more. I used a little wooden stool to prop the door open. It must have been one of those doors that closed automatically.

Suddenly, the water tap started running by itself. I walked over to the sink and closed it. I must be seeing things, I thought. I turned the water tap on and washed my face. I grabbed the towel and patted my face dry. I turned around to look in the mirror and there she stood behind me.

Raina.

"Hello Logan." She grinned mischievously.

_____________________________________________________

Hope you like this one, it's kind of short though.

Comments/Votes would be appreciated.

I'm going to enter this in the Watty Awards 2012 if more people actually read it or like it so, every vote counts. :) This will be my first time entering the watty awards.

Thanks for reading!