Chapter 6

Chapter 6-

A whole week passed by but I hadn't been seeing Raina at all. Even when i would go all the way up the cliff or to Pete's house. It freaked me out and I missed her in some way. Pete and Veronica were both acting very strangely but I decided not to let it bother me as much.

I went outside on a Saturday morning. It was very sunny considering it was still winter. I decided that it was a perfect day to ride my bike to Raina's house. I had to see her files and her stuff.

When I reached Raina's house, it was dark and it looked like nobody lived in it at all. Maybe because no one did. After Raina's death, Raina's parents moved to New York to start a new life and forget about their daughter. They were ashamed because of their daughter. They thought she had a reputation which she had to protect but instead she threw it away when she killed herself. But of course, there are more than one side to every story. No one else knew Raina was killed and i planned on keeping it that way.

The wood creaked as I stepped onto the porch. It looked very old and deserted even thought it hadn't been abandoned so long ago. Before she disappeared, Raina told me that there was an extra key under the doormat. I picked it up and opened the door, locking it behind me and not wanting anybody to know i was there. The lights were on as i had expected. The lights were always on even when there wasn't anybody at home. It didn't matter to the Lynn's because Raina was sort of rich. Well, maybe that wasn't the right word to describe her. Let's just say she never struggled when it came to money. I went upstairs slowly, because when i stepped on the stairs it had felt as if they were going to collapse so easily. When i finally got to the top, i searched around for Raina's room.

It was my first time entering her house and it was probably going to be my last time. It looked like an old haunted house. It definitely freaked me out. When i finally found Raina's room, I dragged the bedside table away from the wall and got the screwdriver from the drawer. I bent down and unscrewed the air vent. And there it was. The big brown old box. I wiped a decades worth of dust and tried to open it but the lock was old and rusty.

Great.

She had told me where to find her stuff but not how to open them?

I searched around for a small round key which would fit perfectly in the keyhole. I looked through her drawers, closet, under her bed and even in her bathroom which was attached to her room but i didn't find it. I scanned the box again and found a skull with two holes in it's eyes. Suddenly an idea popped into my head.  I put two fingers in the holes and the box clicked open.

Genius.

Papers were scattered around, necklaces, pendants, earring, engraved stones and many other stuff of Raina's was in there, including her diary. I closed the box and decided to take it home with me. I needed a more quite—safe—place to read it.

**

When I got home, I sat by the window seat in my bedroom with her diary in my hands. I opened it slowly and sneezed as dust spread across my face. The first few pages were warnings to whoever finds it. Raina didn't want anyone to read it but she gave it to me anyway.

"Dear Diary,

          Today's Pete's birthday party! I cannot say that I'm so excited cause maybe I'm not? I'm not sure. Everybody knows Pete's parties are always good but is it worth it? I mean, I don't even know the guy himself and it's probably going to be a lame party where everyone gets drunk.

          Logan had been acting weird today, he was unlike himself. It made me worried, more than usual. He wasn't happy, he wasn't concentrating. Same with Veronica....and Pete himself. I mean it was his birthday, he couldn't be upset on the day of his party!"