Chapter 7

Chapter 7-

"What do you mean gone?" She asked as she paced around the room with a worried expression on her face.

"It's gone." I paused. "I put it back in it's place, went up to the cliff and talked to Pete then came back and it wasn't there."

"This is just great." She muttered to herself.

"Why are you angry?"

"Why am I angry?" she yelled. "You lost the box, Logan. Without it, we've got nothing! Nothing. We were so close to finding out who killed me and now we're nowhere near close."

"I'm sorry," I said. "but it's still not my fault. Don't blame me for this."

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. Something she usually did when she was so angry. "You need to find it."

"What?" I asked.

"You need to find my box." She repeated.

"But how?" I asked. "I'll never find it. It could be with anyone."

"Well,  not anyone."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Someone who doesn't want to be found out. It could be the murderer. It could be one of my enemies."

"Well, who?" I asked.

"Pe—Could it be Pete?" She asked.

I widened my eyes and my mouth dropped. "It can't be. Can it?"

"You have to search through his room. You have to find out what he's keeping away from everyone."

"Everyone except Veronica." I mumbled.

"What?"

"Nothing." I said quickly.

"Why didn't you tell me you had a fight with Pete?" She asked suddenly.

"How did you even know?" I asked.

"I watched you guys fight. What was that all about?" She asked.

"You didn't hear what he said to me?" I asked in confusion.

"No, I'm not allowed to hear any other voice but yours. It's just how it works. Like, you're allowed to see me, no one else is."

"Well, he kept threatening me because  he thought that I keep talking about you and how I think you were killed." I said as I started to think about it more.

"This just adds more to it." She said. "It really could be him. You have to go search through his room."

"Yeah, sure." I scoffed. "That's a suicide mission."

"It's not. I mean, he won't find out."  She said simply.

"Nothing ever seems to stay a secret in this town anymore. You of all people should know that." I snapped. She looked upset for a moment. I sighed and said, "I'm sorry. It's just this whole thing.. It's weird."

"You seeing me again or the possibility of Pete being the killer?"

"Seeing the girl i had fallen head over heels for again." I whispered.

"Why are you saying this to me?" She asked.

I starred at her in confusion. "Because that girl is you?"

"Ohhhh." She said. "Aw, that's so cute. You were in love with me?"

"Yeah."  I said. "But..now.. you're not really here anymore.."