Prologue

The day was warm and humid as Kegan sat on the windowsill of his bedroom. The light breeze brushed against his face. Sitting on the ledge, he could see the pond in his backyard four stories below. 

"Kegan!"

He turned to see his younger sister Libby come rushing in. Her voice was in a tangle of giggles and trying to talk, making her incomprehensible. He laughed with her. She was too adorable to not find funny.

Her light blonde hair bounced around her face and shoulders as she ran towards him. It's amazing how long it goes. It reaches to the middle of her back.

Bright green eyes starred into his matching eyes. Both of them had green eyes, yet Kegan had black hair. Libby and Kegan were the only two of the five kids with green eyes. Andy and Trei both had blue eyes. Shana had inherited purple eyes like their grandma Minnie.

Andy had red hair like their dad Brian, and Trei and Shana both had blonde hair like mom.

Libby had the cutest laugh, though. The kind that you could make you smile no matter what mood you were in.

Kegan noticed that her white shirt had mud all over it. Someone had been outside playing.

"Kegan! Kegan! Kegan," she shouted. "Save me! Oscar is chasing me."

"What did you do to Oscar now," he said, holding his arms out as she ran closer.

"We were playing fetch, and I took this," she said holding up Oscar's green and blue ball. She finally came in front of him and stopped five feet away. "Want to play keep away with me," she asked.

"Alright, as long as you don't let him tackle me," he said to her, reaching for the ball.

"That's suppose to be your job. You are the night that must protect the princess from the dragon."

He reached for her shoulders and brought her into a big bear hug.

"The princess should not be stealing the dragons toys," he mentioned. They started giggling even more.

As they were hugging he noticed their Husky Oscar come running in. His one blue and one green eyes were full of excitement and playfullness.

"AAAAAAhhhhh," Libby yelped.

Oscar's gray, white, and black hair was flying lose in some areas and tangled by dirt in others.

Him and Libby had been playing in the mud again. That explained why Libby's shirt was all dirty.

Suddenly, Libby jumped to stand by the wall next to the window. Oscar, being unable to stop himself, came flying up in front of Kegan and lunged at him.

His huge fluffy white paws, now cacked in mud, slammed into Kegan's shoulder blades.

Not having enough time to react, Kegan was unable to grab hold of the windowsill in time.

Panic started to consumed him as he gripped air.

The sickening feeling as he tumbled in the air upturned his stomach as he turned to face the ground. It reached up at him, as if inviting him to his grave.

He could hear Libby screaming at him from his windowsill.

Kegan put his hands out to brace himself for impact as the ground was just a few feet below him now. By the rate of how fast he was falling, he knew that once he hit the ground, it would be too much for his body to take. He was going to snap.

 Unable to breath, it did not help the feeling of gravity pulling you down to earth. Unable to watch, Kegan shut his eyes as tight as he possibly could.

Just as he was about to hit the ground, He felt his body suddenly jerk to a standstill.

Blackness still obscured his vision, being too terrified to open his eyes. When the sound of Libby's voice drifted into his ears, he was finally bold enough to open them ever so slightly.

Just four inches below him was the ground. His body was floating in midair.

Then like a rubber band being snapped and finally relieved of it's tension, Kegan felt the force holding him up let go.

Kegan landed on the ground in a huff.

Libby had screamed loud enough for the parents to rush outside instantly. They came running out to see Kegan on the ground and Libby screaming from his four story window. His father ran to his side as fast as possible and checked to make sure he was alive.

When he picked Kegan up into his lap, Kegan's eyes where wide with shock. His father said his name until Kegan finally registered people talking to him.

"What happened," he asked.

Kegan watched as everyone's faces flooded with relief.

They were all happy he was unharmed.

Kegan, however, was still trying to comprehend how he had suddenly stopped right before hitting the ground.

He should be dead...but he wasn't.

Kegan walked to the edge of the green luminous pond in his parents backyard. The grass was wet as he slowly crouched to sit.

He often came here to think. There house was big, an old mansion with lots of hiding spots, but people always seemed to want him. Asking him to do things left and right for them. He hardly ever denied his family, though, because he loved them.

They had figured out when he came to the pond, however, he wanted to be alone.

Fish flopped from the surface, water lilies pulled in the wind, and the willow trees provided shade from the 97 degree humidity.

The air around him was quiet aside from the natural noises. No cars could be heard as they lived in the country, no airplanes ever flew overhead, it was just peaceful.

Kegan needed to relax. Ever since he fell from the window two months ago, he never seemed to be able to calm down.

As he sat by the pond, things that seemed out of place loomed in his mind. The floating from the ground being one of them.

Too many things felt suspicious now.

The worst thing, he could hear his parents whispering about him when he wasn't around.

Every year he got older, his parents seemed to whisper more. He noticed it more when he was about 16, and now that he was three months shy of 18, whispers doubled along with the occasional look of worry crossing their faces.

The only thing he could come up with was him being adopted. His parents told him when he was about 14, but when you're the only naturally black haired kid with 3 blonde haired and one red haired siblings, it seemed out of place. Especially with mom being blonde and dad being a red head.

Whenever he brought it up when he was younger they said it ran in the family, but all of their aunts and uncles had naturally light hair, too.

The day Kegan finally asked his mom if he was adopted, she broke down crying and his father wouldn't say anything.

All they said was yes, and nothing more. 

He doesn't know why his real parents left him, or when Kegan came to be with this family. He was the oldest child in this family, the closest sibling being Shana, his sister. They were only 7 months apart.

He knew he was adopted. The strange thing was that dad would tell him to lock the questions away whenever he brought up the subject. 

"You're not ready to know", his father would tell him.

His adopted parents seem to whisper things when they don't think he's listening.

Libby tells him all the time, too. There's something he doesn't know about himself. She only says that, because she saw him float when he should have hit the ground.

What's going on that he doesn't know about?

***To be continued.....