ch. 5

*One Week Later* (One week and 3 days to go)

"I see you finally made it," Josie said as she hugged her father in law.

Kegan walked outside and stared up at the sky. It was gloomy, doing hardly anything to brighten his mood. For exactly one week nothing had happened, which was good, but he hadn't seen Celine since that night. He was sad, wishing to hold her again, but no matter where he wondered off too, she could not be found.

Trei, Libby, and the other two all rushed at grandfather to give them a hug. None of them knew about Kegan and his secret, Brian had instructed him to keep it quiet.

After he was done giving them hugs, Grandfather stood up and looked at Kegan.

"And how is my birthday boy?"

"It isn't my birthday yet," Kegan said glumly.

Grandfather Gary stared into his eyes. He nodded, and Kegan understood what he meant. Gary had confirmed that Kegan knew about what he was now.

"Come inside while dinner is hot and ready," Brian called out the door.

They all began walking and Gary walked up to Kegan and threw his arm around him, leading him into the house.

"We will talk later tonight," he whispered into Kegan's ear.

Kegan looked down at the floor as he walked over to take his place at the dinner table, now at opposite ends from Trei. Thanks to mom.

"Grandpa, can you tell us one of your stories," Andy asked him after we had all settled to eat.

Fresh ham that looked juicy and delicious sat in front of us. Green beans, hot biscuits, it was almost like thanksgiving all over again, even though it was May.

"Sure why not," Grandpa replied, "hmmmm, let's see."

We sat and waited as he scanned his thoughts to find a good story to share.

"Ah, I know. Have any of you kids ever seen someone get hypnotized?"

We all nodded and listened intently, this one was new.

"When I was 23 I was walking the town of New Orleans. It was dark out, and slightly misty from a light drizzle falling in the hot, humid, night. In the neighborhood I walked through, the towns where old, as if they should be torn down, but remained there as the town grew around them.

"I heard a man talking through the open door of one house. A smallish house with beige paint peeling off of the cracking wood. Windows where broke, and the shingled roof held a giant hole in it.

"there is no way this house could be inhabited' I thought to myself. So I walked up the sidewalk and stood by the door to listen."

Kegan looked around and smiled as Andy, Trei, and Libby all where leaning over there plates listening to him. He silently began laughing to himself as he noticed Libby's hair was getting ham juice in it.

"As I listened, the voice I had heard returned. It was small and gruff, like he was gargling nails. But it didn't stay that way. It shifted back in forth from being gruff to sounding raspy. 'Breath, my jewel. Slowly, and deeply. Focus on your breathing as I whisper to you. You will feel yourself become relaxed and fall asleep.

"I stepped within the house, silently, like a ninja," he said nudging Trei.

"It was dark and musty from the damp wood. In the middle of what should have been a living room stood a man wearing a dark cloak. His skin was pale, and hair a dirty blonde, looking as if he was death himself.

"A smaller man stood in the center as 'Death' paced around him. This man looked beat up. Bones showing through his all to pale skin, with purple scars set over his body almost like a blanket.

"'Listen to my voice as you become more relaxed. I will count back from ten, slowly. Ten, Nine, you will lose yourself slowly and feel all your worries lift off of you. Eight, seven, six, five, your heart will slow down to hold you in place. Four, three, two, and when I reach one, you will awaken in a while new life, with no memory of all the pains you had before.'

"I watched as the man stood there, his breath grew faint, and he barely moved. Death leaned in, and I had strain to hear him whisper, 'one.'

"Suddenly the man fell to the ground and began trembling. At this time I knew I had to do something, but before I moved Death leaned down and placed a hand on the trembling man, Instantly he stilled.

" 'Awaken my son, you are free. Free from pain, sorrow, and the agony of life.' The man turned over and my eyes bulged as I saw this new stranger.

"His arms, now covered in a thick layer of muscle, was clear of all bruises, and his eyes were not sunk in, but shining with life. He began coughing wildly, and as soon as I saw scarlet I jumped from behind the corner.

"'Are you alright,' I shouted for him. Death walked over and placed a hand on my shoulder. I lost my breath as I felt my entire body picked up and tossed across the room as if I was a blanket. My head hit the wall, causing my vision to spin.

"And as I layed there, the coughing stopped. Two men got up, and walked out of the room."

Gary paused and looked at everyone's faces, they where amazed and in disbelief at the same time.

"I woke up as the sun shone through the cracks in the wall. Nothing in the house showed any sign of these two strangers being within. But all that was left, was a small slip of paper near my arm, that said: "Forget what you've seen tonight, for we will be watching you. One speak of this, and you can find yourself in a life you've never imagined."

"That's insane," Trei said. "You didn't really see that."

"I did too, have the small crack on my head from the wall to prove it."

"Wicked," Trei whispered.

Kegan looked down at his plate. As he thought about it, it stirred an uneasiness within him.

If they were created to protect the children of the earth, he hadn't yet thought of what from. How much of this other world has he seen that he never even realized?

There's a war going on around him.

And he's suppose to fight it.