Ch.3

"His birthday is getting closer, it's inevitable that these things are happening."

Brian was talking to Josie in the private study. The kids had all gone to their rooms. Well, all kids except for one.

"But why get to Trei, too? How could they even remotely know where Kegan is," Josie asked.

"I don't think they really know. But something is taking ahold of Trei. When we received Kegan, she reminded us that these things would happen eventually. He's vulnerable right now without his memories."

"They're coming closer. I can feel it," Josie said. Her calm facial expressions started breaking. Brian knew what she was thinking. Kegan was theirs, a part of their family. But he was threatening the family without even knowing it.

"I've already called my father to come earlier. He knows more about this then I do, besides I know he doesn't want to miss Kegan's 18th birthday."

"Maybe we need to finally tell Kegan what's going on."

"I'll talk to him," Brian said. Reluctance swarmed his face, but he knew it was time.

"You need to go find him first. He still hasn't come inside."

Josie glanced over to the clock anxiously. It had been almost three hours since Kegan went running out of the house. Her baby hadn't come home yet.

Brian sighed and walked over to the coat rack next to the door leading to the backyard from the study.

He stepped out into the nighttime air. A small fog layer clung to the ground, making it hard to see were he was stepping.

The flashlight stowed away in the coat pocket still worked luckily, and he began making his way towards the pond.

"Kegan!"

Looking around when he stepped up to the bank, Kegan was no where to be found. The water was still and the frogs croaked lightly to the rhythm of the lightning bugs flashing overhead.

Brian bent down and searched the ground with the flashlight for any signs of tracks.

Eventually he found a set of footprints in the mud leading to the woods. Once he stepped out of the mud and into the grass, though, he lost the tracks. He walked in a straight line to the tree's hoping to pick it up again, but found nothing.

A little bit to his left Brian herd a twig snap and he whirled around to examine it, but there was nothing there. Then again he heard another twig snap on his right.

"Kegan," Brian asked.

The light in his hand went out once, then came back on within a second. Brian watched, and again the flashlight dimmed and shone bright again.

"You know where he is," Brian asked. "Lead me to him."

Celine examined Brian from the tree she was hidden behind.

Was it safe to approach him now?

She had to risk it. Kegan was up in that tree house freezing. She had sang him to sleep, but when he wouldn't stop shivering she had taken off the long black coat she wore and draped it over him, then left to find someone.

Finally she stepped out from behind the tree. Brian looked up in her direction.

If he could see her again, that meant Kegan had finally seen her.

"It's been a long time Celine," Brian acknowledge her.

"Follow me..." Celine said and turned off towards the tree house.