Roarke's Moments

They call me Junior even that's not my name.

My parents never call me that, and besides, my real name's more dignified and appealing. I couldn't remember when it all started, but according to Ma, others called me in that nickname since I was a baby. It was my looks, the majority said, especially the dark hair and deep-blue eyes. Like a spitting image of my Da.

And speaking of my Da, he was holding my arm as we entered his building. I tried to admire the vast area with gleaming floors and mag decorations, but couldn't find a heart to do so. Ever since he fetched me to school and rode a limo going here, he was not talking to me.

Several employees greeted us as we passed, with Da responding them the same greetings. He was not looking at me, and I guess these employees could sense the atmosphere. When we entered the glides, I buried my face in his suit for shame. He was still holding my arm – not too tight, not too hard.

Caro was waiting for us at the elevator entrance. She looked at Da first then to me. Her eyes were full of pity, which I bet it was for me, so I moved to Da closer until we entered his office. He let me sat on the couch then went to the bar counter.

"I'm sorry," was all I could say.

Da went back with a medicine kit. He opened it and laid the contents on the couch.

"I'm sorry.", I said it again.

Da was opening a cap of ointment, rubbed his fingers with it, then dabbed it to my left temple. He was not talking me, looking at me, or listening to me.

So I cried.

Keith said that boys never cry, only the sissy ones. But he was not here, or anybody else besides Da and me, so I'll just keep this as a secret. I couldn't help but burst out when you're all guilty and the person you're sorry for won't acknowledge it.

A large hand pulled me closer to warm shoulders, patting my back to ease my hiccups, then cradled me. I love it when Da carry me or have my piggy-back ride. I hugged him tightly, burying my face in his mane hair. He finally looked at me, and while I am expecting to see an anger there, all I saw was sadness.

"Did I hurt you?", Da asked.

I shook my head. He pulled a hanky to wipe the tears from my eyes, then lightly squeezed my nose – maybe I got a snot there. Ew.

"Did you know why Da was mad at you?"

"I got myself into trouble.", I replied as I nod.

"And then?"

"I got myself hurt."

He put me down on the couch again then finished dabbing my eye. The throbbing sensation I felt there was gone, maybe because the ointment was more effective than our stingy cream in the school clinic.

"But Da, I was just defending myself. Keith and Rolly and Bert called me a rich, pampered, spoiled brat."