Bullpen's Moments (Homicide)

I went to see a dentist today.

I was suffering from a toothache for two days already, and with that mild fever last night, it was decided to have my tooth extraction first thing in the morning. It's just a baby tooth, everyone had said to me, that will be replaced by permanent ones.

I've been crying for Ma the whole time, and I was happy that she stayed with me until we arrived at the clinic. Rumors said that tooth extraction is painful.

"No, buddy. You'll never feel a thing." Ma soothed calmly. "The doctor will give you something to block the pain, and in just one minute your toothache will disappear."

"But how about the injection? Is it painful?"

"Nah, it's just like an ant's bite."

"So it is painful."

"Look at Ma." she nudged me, "Would you like to keep that toothache forever?"

I shook my head profusely.

I looked at Ma and plead for reassurance when the dentist told me to open my mouth.

Ma raked my hair with her hands while maintaining our eye contact, "After this, we're going to eat a jumbo ice cream. A big, mumbo-jumbo ice cream. Rocky road, double dutch, triple chocolate fudge – you name it! Topped with your favorite marshmallows, sprinklers chocolate chips, and oozed with strawberry and chocolate syrup mixture. Of course, there will be some vanilla whipped cream and a cherry on top. And sidings? Hmm, let's say some bananas, mangoes, peaches..."

My head perked up with a surprise when the dentist told me that it was done.

I barely felt a sting, to be honest, maybe because I was distracted by Ma's promised ice cream treat?

Or maybe because the dentist really knows his job.

When I asked the dentist for my tooth, he showed me a small petri-dish.

"Take that!" I mocked an affronted look. "The bane of my existence!"

And just like what Ma had promised, she brought us a large bowl of ice cream with my own choice of flavors and toppings. Besides, the dentist required me to eat cold foods like ice creams, shakes, popsicles or anything that can be found in a fridge.

How I wish every day would be like this.

"Let's see what your Da will say on this." Ma said as she pulled her 'link and dialed Da's number.

When his face appeared on the screen, Ma held the 'link towards me as I gobbled a spoonful of ice cream.

"You're eating a giant parfait?"

"Da, look at this!" I squealed as I showed him my missing tooth.

"Now there's no nasty tooth. How's your feeling?"

"I'm fine! Really, really mag fine! I can eat lots and lots of ice creams for a week! And I did not cry when the dentist pulled my tooth. Right, Ma?"

Ma only nodded as she helped herself some of my sweets.

"What do you want for Da to bring later tonight as your prize for being so brave?"

"Hmm...a latest release of X-6180 game 1st generation series hologram version?"

"Didn't the dentist advise you to take a rest?" Ma interrupted. "That means no holo games."

"Aww, Ma.", I pouted indignantly then looked at Da's transmission with sadness. "I'll take a pint of gelato."

"Don't worry, I'll bring something that I'm sure you'll definitely like most.", his subtle wink raised my hopes. "Could you pass this 'link over to your Ma?"