Don't Keep Me Waiting

Chapter 1

I turned off my phone and dropped into my purse with everything else I was carrying.  I got out of my brand new car and locked it. Daddy bought me a mustang and let me tell you it cost him a few pretty pennies. I loved its sparkling black coat and white stripe down the side. I love speed and I love getting out of tickets with a few bats of my eyes. I walked away from my car and looked at what was to be my new school for the year. Daddy said it was the last school I was going to, but really I know if I don’t like it, I can get out if this hell hole. Daddy was a sucker for my puppy dog eyes. I chuckled to myself. Those puppy dog eyes are how I got the new car.

I looked at my new prison and sighed to myself. Just one more year of this before my year off. I had tons of plans for when I was free. A horn blaring woke me up and reminded me that I was standing in the middle of the road. I jumped to the side and a shiny silver porche went into a parking spot not far from me. I took a step and then it hit me. I was missing something very important. I ran back to my car and popped the trunk. Lying there I saw my pride and joy. My skateboard. Oh let me tell you right now my dad is loaded. And yeah I’m spoiled but I am most certainly not a girly girl. I skateboard and for being filthy rich you’d think I had better clothes. I wore what any skater girl would, nothing fancy.

So I grabbed my skateboard and closed my trunk. I got on my skateboard and rode to the front door. I dodged between people and right to the front steps. Some of the girls gave me dirty looks and some just stared. Something I will always hate is being the new girl. The boys looked at me curious. I had been told many times I was beautiful. Whatever. I was 5’6 with a curvy figure. I have long black hair, and a very light tan color skin. I was wearing my favorite DC sneakers, jeans, and a button up plaid shirt over a tank top.

So anyways I grabbed my skateboard and headed into hell. You can probably tell by now that I don’t like school. Really it wasn’t so much that I didn’t like school. I just had a problem following orders. My dad yells at me all the time for it but I can’t help it. It’s like there’s something inside of me that refuses to let anyone tell me what to do.

I was walking through the crowded halls trying to ignore the blatant stares and curious gazes. I finally found what looked like the office. There was a window with a busy older woman sitting there. She looked about late forties and her brown hair was graying. She had on much too bright red lipstick. It just looked tacky.

“Excuse me” I said sweetly. Might as well start with a good impression. Because if this is where you had to wait to see the principal she was going to be seeing a lot of me. She looked up and her dark brown eyes met mine. “I’m new here, is this were I should pick up my schedule?”

“Name?” she asked in an impatient voice.

“Niaomi. Niaomi Rosset.” Her eyes almost popped out of her head. That was a common response to my last name.

“Are you related to Walter Rosset? The Walter Rosset.”

I nodded my head. “He’s my dad.” Her eyes got even wider. I wanted to laugh at her reaction. Daddy’s reputation was well known. Well he was one of the wealthiest people according to wall street, but hey what do I care.

“Oh my. Welcome Niaomi. I’ll have your schedule in just a moment.” She got out of her chair and rushed over to what looked like a copier. Daddy’s name usually got me whatever I wanted. You can call me spoiled, I know I am.

She came back quickly and she handed me a piece of paper. “Have a good day Niaomi, if you need any help just ask and I’ll have someone show you around.”

I smiled at her and said “Thank you.” I walked away, down the hall and tried not to hit anyone. For as freaking huge as this school was it seemed that the hallways were damn crowded. Hmm let’s see the awful classes I’ll have to suffer through. I had English, ceramics, math, government, lunch, chemistry, study hall, and creative writing. Okay so not completely awful. I had realized that I had kept walking as I was reading my schedule. I found myself outside in a quad filled with students. How many freakin’ kids went to this damn school?