Chapter ~9~

We were eating in silence when the door opened. My head snapped up and I saw kitten walk in. Was she sleepwalking? Her eyes were closed and her beating heart was in going in a steady rhythm. “Kitten?”

“Mmmm” she hummed. She went to the fridge and pulled out left over chicken. She unwrapped it and took a little bite. She stood right there with the fridge door open and slow nibbled at it. I laughed as she ate. I went to her and pulled her back so I could close the door. I picked her up and set her down on the island. She didn’t wake up or say anything. She just continued to nibble on the chicken.

“Is she asleep?” Sky asked. I nodded and he laughed. He picked up a couple fries and held them out to her. She sniffed and paused before she took another bite of her chicken. She leaned in and took a bit of the fries Sky held out. Okay that was pretty funny. Cameron, Sky and I busted out laughing. Sleeping Nia didn’t mind us and went on eating.

I was thinking about waking her but honestly she needed her sleep. Why not let her eat and then just take her back to lie down.

We all went back to eating. The kitchen was quiet except for our chewing and the occasional rustle of something. When Nia was almost done with her chicken she stopped and her brows furrowed. “Where’s Nate?” she asked sounding upset.

“I’m right here kitten.” Her brows relaxed and she smiled.

“I’m hungry.” I laughed.

“You have chicken in your hand kitten.”

She set it down and then said “I want something else.” I laughed and rolled my eyes. She is such a pain, but I love her.

“What do you want?”

“I want grilled cheese.”

I sighed. “If I make this, you better eat it.”

She nodded and said “I will. Grilled cheese is my favorite.”

I made her grilled cheese and she ate every bite of it. I talked mainly with Cameron and Sky since they were actually conscious. Once we were all done I picked up kitten and went back to my room. She snuggled into my chest and sighed. “Good puppy.” I wanted to bark with laughter and I wanted to shake her awake. I was torn at her little comment. It was funny, but I also didn’t want her to only think of me as some dog half breed. I am Nate, and my wolf was a part of me.

I set her down on the bed, and she immediately curled up. “Come to bed Nate. I need your warmth” she mumbled. I smiled and crawled next to her.

The next day I woke up in bed alone. I sat up. A piece of paper fell from my chest. I picked it up and read: Nate, call me when you get up. I had to run home. My dad was pissed. At the bottom she started to write her name but crossed it out and signed it kitten. I smiled. She was finally accepting my nickname. I showered and did my normal routine. An hour later I was dressed and ready. I went downstairs and few guys from the pack were lounging on the couch on the living room. I nodded at them and then went into the kitchen. Sky and Cameron were talking while leaning against the counter and munching on some chips.

“All you two ever do is eat. The last time I came in here, you two were eating.”

“Mom says its healthy for growing wolves to constantly eat. Are you saying something against my mom?” Sky asked with fake anger. I smiled at his stupid joke.

“No she’s smart unlike you.” Cameron snickered at Sky and I left them to continue talking. I went out back. A few of the guys had shifted and were play fighting. It was actually practice fighting but if they had been regular dogs it would have looked like play fighting. I walked around to the front of the house and I finally found some quiet.