Chapter 9

I laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling. My thoughts were consumed by the day's events.

I felt as if my heart had shattered into pieces.

The memories of today swirled around my mind. The event that hurt me the most was the fact that Alpha Kyle was so cold and distant to me in his office.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought about our strained interactions. I longed for the warmth and affection I had hoped for in a mate.

It seems like there's an impenetrable wall between Alpha Kyle and I. I don't know how to tear it down.

I didn't mean to make him look bad by not doing my homework. I've always taken school seriously. It's just that I've been going through a lot lately. I didn't have the time to do my homework last night.

I remembered Lucy. I still can't believe she approached me in that manner. For her to confront me like that, it means that she and Alpha Kyle must share such a strong connection.

A stray tear fell from my eyes. I wish I was her right now.

I wish I could be as close to him as she was.

As I laid there, my mind drifted. A different memory emerged that contrasted with my current reality.

I remembered Brandon. I recall how he approached me with a friendly smile. He spoke to me like I was worth something.

As I reminisced about his kindness, a small smile crept onto my face. I've never had anyone show me such genuine kindness, even though it lasted only for a few minutes.

Maybe there are nice people out there.

I closed my eyes, holding on to the memory of that brief encounter. I savored the feeling of being treated with kindness.

A knock on my door brought me out of my thoughts.

''Come in'' I said.

The door opened, revealing Taylor.

"Hey" he said, with a smile.

I couldn't help but smile back. Taylor is another person who treated me with kindness.

Two people were nice to me in a day. This has never happened to me before.

"Hello" I responded.

''Dinner's ready" he said "Come to the kitchen"

"Thank you"

He nodded before leaving my room.

I quickly changed into something more comfortable before leaving my room.

The scent of simmering stew could be perceived from the corridors as I made my way into the kitchen. The sweet aroma of food made me realize how hungry I was.

As I entered the kitchen, I was greeted by a scene I didn't expect.

There, standing by the island, was Lucy with two other girls. They laughed and conversed. Their eyes turned to me when I entered the kitchen. Their expressions were anything but friendly.

Lucy's eyes locked onto me with a malicious glint "Look who's decided to join us"

I hesitated. Maybe if I ignore their malicious gazes, they'll leave me alone. I don't want any trouble. I just came here to get my dinner then go back to my room.

I went to the other island and reached for my plate of food. Before I could collect it, one of the girls snatched it away.

"Need something, Rose" she taunted.

The three of them laughed.

I looked down on the floor, not knowing what to do.

"You can't show respect?" another girl said "You walked in here without greeting anyone. You're acting like you own the place just because you're Alpha Kyle's mate"

I shook my head "I didn't mean to"

Lucy moved close to me. At this point, her face was dangerously close to mine.

"You're just a pathetic pup, aren't you?" she hissed "You don't belong here"

My heart pounded in my chest.

How do I get myself out of this situation?

Before I knew, Lucy grabbed me by the neck. I struggled against her chokehold.

Her eyes had darkened "You think you can ignore me?"

She threw me across the room with inhumane strength. My back collided with the wall with so much force. It sent shockwaves of pain through me. My back throbbed in pain.

Just as I struggled to regain my composure, Alpha Kyle and Taylor entered the kitchen. They were accompanied with two other men.

"What's going on here?" Alpha Kyle questioned.

"Why is she on the floor again?" Taylor growled "I need answers. If not, someone is going to get punished"

Lucy wasted no time with telling lies.

She walked close to Alpha Kyle.

"Alpha" Lucy's voice trembled with false emotion "She was being mean to me. She just attacked us out of nowhere"

"It's true" The other girls chorused.

"It still doesn't explain why she's on the floor" Taylor growled. His eyes had darkened.

"Be quiet, Taylor" Alpha Kyle told him.

Alpha Kyle's gaze landed on me "Rose, come here"

I was in pain so I couldn't get up too fast. I walked closer to him, standing beside Lucy.

''Lucy said you disrespected her" Alpha Kyle said "Is this true, Rose?"

"No" I shook my head "That's not true. She was the one who attacked me for no reason. I just wanted to get my food"

Lucy gasped in horror ''You liar!''

She cried out loud "She used her position as Luna to oppress us. That's why I had to defend myself. She hit me first"

''Is that true, girls?'' Kyle asked them.

''Yes Alpha'' they replied

Alpha Kyle glared at me. It was obvious that he believed what Lucy said.

My heart ached with betrayal. I had done nothing wrong yet here I am, being accused of a crime I didn't commit.

''It isn't true" I said "I swear"

"Guards" Alpha Kyle said.

"Yes Alpha!" the two men answered him.

"Take Rose to the dungeon"

My eyes widened in surprise at his words. To the dungeon?

"Alpha" Taylor spoke "It's obvious that Lucy and her friends are lying"

"Do not question my instructions, Taylor"

The two men held my hands and led me out of the kitchen.

They led me to a hidden room down the corridor. In this room, there was a staircase. We walked down the staircase.

My heart beat increased. I'm scared of the dark.

"I didn't do anything" I cried "Please"

They ignored me.

This place was like an underground prison of some kind. There were various cells down here.

One of the men unlocked a cell and pushed me inside it. The other guard locked it.

They left me all alone in the dark.

I sat on the floor and hugged my knees to my chest. I was tired of crying.

Instead, I let out a loud scream of agony.