Chapter Twenty: Storms, Part 3

FOR MOST THE Feast of Maegla was a day of private worship, but at Aquila it was the most important festival of the year

FOR MOST THE Feast of Maegla was a day of private worship, but at Aquila it was the most important festival of the year. The citadel and town celebrated Her glory loudly, and She threw out the worst storm of the season in response. But most of the students were too tipsy to care.

"S'my birthday," Mhysra said to the ceiling, but no matter how many times she said it, she still didn't get any presents.

"I love you. Did I ever tell you I love you?" Corin told Mhysra for the fifth time.

"Yes." As she'd said the same to Haelle, Mouse, Derrain, Lieutenant Stirla and Lieutenant Hlen, Mhysra wasn't flattered. "You've had too much drink."

"I like it!" Corin protested, as Mhysra took the bottle away. She tried to put it on the table and missed. "You broke it!"

"Didn't," Mhysra retorted, juggling it until she got a grip. "See, some left." Tipping back her head, she drained the last third.

Corin stared at her in shock. "You drank it."

"I did."

"You drank it."

"I did."

"You drank it!"

"She did." A veteran of intoxicating spirits, Derrain was still in possession of his wits. "And you've both had enough." He hauled them to their feet. "Time for bed. Lessons tomorrow."

"S'no point," Mhysra hiccupped gloomily. "No flying, no fun. S'my birthday, Derry. Will you take me flying?"

"Not when you might get struck by lightning. Aquila frowns on that kind of thing."

"No fun," she repeated.

"I don' wanna go bed," Corin protested, tripping over a snoring student. "'m drinkin'."

"I noticed," Derrain said. "And now you've stopped. You're done with drinking."

"Nope. Gotta keep goin'. Buildin' ma courage. Gonna get a kiss."

Derrain raised his eyebrows, and Mhysra stopped grumbling long enough to swing around. "Wotcha mean? Where you gonna get a kiss?"

Corin giggled. "On ma lips. At first." She winked. "Maybe somewhere else, if he's lucky."

Mhysra swayed as she tried to focus. "S'not what I meant. Who'll kiss you?"

"S'secret," Corin whispered. "C'mere, I tell you."

They all leant closer and Corin bashed foreheads with Derrain as she planted a loud kiss on his lips. She teetered away, crowing, "Tol' you! Tol' you! I got a kiss!"

Lunging to catch her before she fell over, Derrain sighed and tucked her under his arm. "You should have asked, Corin. I'd have kissed you gladly."