Chapter 8

As the girl stepped closer, Alya could see that she definitely wasn't Manon. She looked familiar, though, she didn't know how. "Uh, who are you?" Alya asked. "I'm Mireille," the girl replied. "Oh! The KIDZ+ Weather Girl winner, right?" Alya snapped her fingers. "Yea," she replied meekly. "Um, where are we?"
"Somewhere at the edge of Paris, I guess," Alya shrugged, "I kind of wandered here while searching for someone."
"Manon?" Mireille guessed. Alya nodded. "Wait, what were you doing out here?"
"I don't know," Mireille knocked her head lightly. "I just remember a warehouse, a girl disappear in smoke, a guy in a purple and black suit, and next thing I know, he was gone and I was in the warehouse alone," she replied, trying to remember all she could. Alya scratched her head, thinking. "Did the girl have tannish colored skin and her hair in pigtails?"
"I don't remember," she shook her head sadly. This is the only chance I have at finding Manon, Alya thought. "Where's this warehouse?" she asked her. Mireille pointed towards the trail she was standing on. "Just follow this path and eventually you'll find it."
"Thank you," Alya smiled, as Mireille gave a small nod before heading on her way to the nearest place she could get a ride home.

After Mireille was out of earshot and had disappeared around the corner of the street, Alya pulled out her phone and dialed Nino's number. "Hey Nino?"

"Alya! What goes on?" Nino greeted as he picked up his phone.

"I think I have a lead in where Manon was taken," she said giddily. Maybe Mrs. Chammack won't have to somehow get a heart attack.

"Really? Where?" he asked, getting ready to leave his house.

"I actually have no idea. It's somewhere in the woods outside of Paris, or just somewhere," she replied, eyeing the thick trees.

"Yea, I know where you're talking about. You're standing at a trail, right?" he guessed.

"Right on dot," she nodded.

"I'll be right there," he hung up and headed out to meet Alya.

*•*•*

Manon ended up somewhere in a forest, where the trees were the darkest shade of green and were the thickest. "Where am I?" she called out to no one in particular. Most young girls would be scared when they are left in the woods. Manon, however, was just plain mad. "If you're going to leave me here, you could give me directions!" she screamed. No reply, as expected. She spotted a trail on the floor, and with no where better to go, she followed it.

*•*•*

Nino met up with Alya at the edge of the forest. "We are looking for a warehouse, right?" he asked her. "Yep," she nodded. "It's a start."
"Then let's go!" he started walking along the trail.

"Hey Nino, how do you know about this place? I've been all over Paris, and I've never seen this forest before," Alya asked. He hesitated before saying, "My elementary school took a trip here once," and looked down. She raised an eyebrow. "You don't like this place, do you?"
"No, I don't," he shook his head. "Now, can we find Manon and get out of here?"
"Sure," she replied. But, after a while, her curiosity got the better of her. "Why don't you like these woods?" He didn't answer right away, as if he was lost in his thoughts. "Nino?"
"I lost someone I cared about very much here. My first best friend to be exact," he said in a barely audible voice. He knew that Alya would ask him to tell more eventually, so he just muttered out the rest.
"The trip was a camping trip. My best friend and I spent free time exploring. On the last day here, we went to the cliff to relax and take pictures. I walked back to camp when it was time to go. He wanted a few minutes to himself. And he never came back. The teachers searched, and they never found him. Until, they looked over the cliff...." his voice trailed off as tears formed. Alya bit her lip and hugged him. "Awe," she sighed. They walked in silence until Nino scoffed, "We didn't even know how he got off the cliff. Whether he jumped, someone pushed him, or something, no one knew. That's one of many reasons why I don't like about this place."
"If I were you, I wouldn't like this place either," she agreed. "I don't like this place at all," a third voice said. The two of them whipped their heads towards the sound of the voice. "Manon!" Alya exclaimed. "What happened to you?"
"Invisible smoke person took me. Another invisible person told me Chat Noir and Ladybug would come for me. I said they weren't in town. Then Smoke Person brought me somewhere," Manon explained. "Wait, Ladybug and Chat Noir aren't around?" Nino asked. "Well, they haven't been saving us for the past few days," Alya pointed out. "It's been that turtle guy who says he's filling in for those two until they come back."
"Oh yea. Then after he revealed he wasn't the two heroes, the villains stopped attacking," Nino nodded slowly. "So I'm guessing whoever's creating these villains are after Ladybug and Chat Noir specifically. Whoever doesn't draw them out get revoked of whatever he offered," Alya added. "They said they had no use for me when I said they weren't around to get me," Manon piped up. "And you're lucky they let you go," Alya smiled and picked her up. "Now, let's get you to your mom before she gets suspicious."

While they were walking back from dropping Manon off at Ms. Chamack's place, Alya asked Nino, "Wait, who even is the turtle guy?"
"If this is another mystery that you're willing to jump to conclusions about, I'm out," Nino raised an eyebrow. "But why is he filling in for our normal two heroes?" Alya questioned. "Because they're 'out of town'?" Nino offered. Alya sighed. "My bottom line question is, where even are Ladybug and Chat Noir?"

*•*•*

After a long and surprisingly restful night, Marinette woke up feeling better than ever. She got dressed and skipped into the living room, humming happily. Adrien chuckled. "Looks like someone has a lot of energy today."
"Yep!" Marinette grinned as she put on her shoes. "Where's Nathalie?"
"She went to catch up with her friends from here. She'll be back at night," he replied. "So it's just us for the day," he added with a wink. Marinette didn't know whether she should roll her eyes or blush. Then her instincts made her do both. "So what will we be doing, Prince Charming?"
"Oh, so I'm charming?" Adrien asked cheekily and grinned. When she gave him a sarcastic stare, he snickered. "But we'll just be walking around the neighborhood in hopes of a sign of where that gauntlet is."
"Okay, Tomcat," she ate the Apple she had been munching on a little faster. "I remember Lady Wi-Fi gave me that nickname when I came to save you," he mused. "I didn't need saving," Marinette rolled her eyes, internally chuckling. "'Tomcat's come to save his lovebug!'" he quoted. Marinette let out a laugh. "Okay, you can shut up now."
"Bleh," he stuck out his tongue. "Ready yet, Lovebug?" He held the door open for her, giving a bow. She giggled as she skipped out the door. "Come on, Tomcat. Tibet won't explore itself."

As Adrien closed the door, he added, "But Earth is a living thing. Maybe Tibet is exploring itself."

*•*•*

They had left their kwamis behind in their hotel room, not wanting to risk anyone else seeing them. Master Fu had warned then about extraordinary humans in the city, and if one of them found the kwamis as an 'item of interest', who knows what might happen?

Plagg and Tikki had the entire suite to themselves, but they still had to be sure not to make a mess. After all, Nathalie was still unaware of their existence. "Plagg! Where did you hide my cookies?!" Tikki called as she zipped from counter to counter. "They aren't on the counters, Bug," Plagg snickered. "Tell me where they are, or I'm throwing all your cheese away!" she screeched at him. "Somewhere in the apartment," he grinned mischievous. Tikki glared at him. Ever since they got to the hotel, Plagg had been playing tricks on her, keeping her awake all night long. And now she was hungry, but he had hidden her food. "Ughhhh," Tikki growled. She was tempted to kill him, but if Plagg was dead, then Adrien can't turn into Chat Noir and help Ladybug fight the akumatized villains. "You're the worst, Alley Cat," she hissed. It was supposed to be an insult, but Plagg didn't look offended. He looked rather smug. "Guess that's my new nickname? You're the bug, I'm the cat."
Tikki didn't reply. She was too tired, and hungry to put up with it. She was about to just ignore him and try to get sleep, when a flyer flew into the window right in front of her. She picked it up and read it:
(Refer to pic)

"Plagg! Get your arse over here!" Tikki exclaimed

"Plagg! Get your arse over here!" Tikki exclaimed. "Do I have to?" Plagg called back. "This is serious, alley cat!" she sighed in annoyance. "Whaaaaat," Plagg flew over lazily. He eyed the paper and his eyes widened. "Oh my gods, free food! Do you think there's Camembert?"
"I meant the top lines!" Tikki pointed out. "Oh, right," he cleared his throat. "You think the gauntlet could be displayed there?"
"Maybe," she shrugged. "It's worth a shot."
Plagg sighed as he glanced at the door. "Where's Adrien and Marinette when you need them."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I promise this is the last bad chapter, I think. I dunno, but I hope the next one will be better than this. Anyways, please leave feedback and share this story!
- Nhi/Kat🕯