Chapter 10

Marinette and Adrien exchanged glances. "Greek Mythology?"
"Well," Adrien hummed in thought as he remembered a history class they had.

Flashback:
Everyone was paying attention to Ms. Rein as she talked about the lesson. Everyone loved that class for some reason; she made everything sound exciting. The topic was Greek Mythology. They were talking about the story of the demigod Perseus, and how he had defeated Medusa. Then, they tied in books to the topic. And what better book to tie into Greek myths than Percy Jackson and the Olympians?

During a class discussion about the book, one of their classmates, Juleka, spoke up. "Ms. Rein, you speak of these books as if they were reality. You speak of these myths as if they were real too."
"Your question?" Ms. Rein had replied. "Well, are they real?" Jukela asked. The question got the entire class's attention, and everyone awaited an answer. Ms. Rein simply smiled. "If you were a god or goddess, would you like to be referred to as a myth?" she asked in a sweet voice. The entire class shook their heads, except for Max, who relied on facts. "But they're just books and myths."
"Someone I met once told me there's no such thing as fiction. It's just a reality someone sees, and put it in written words. And when you read the words, you create a portal into that reality," Ms. Rein never lost her smile. "What do you mean?" Adrien questioned. His teacher turned her gaze to him. "Maybe these myths were once real at one point in time, or in an alternate universe, or even here in this world. And maybe Percy Jackson and demigods are too. We just aren't aware of their existence," she waited a few seconds before continuing, "and who knows? Maybe we are characters in a book, and someone out there is reading our stories."

The bell rang, and everyone was still hung over their teacher's words.

Present time:
Adrien never understood Ms. Rein's words until now. "Well, it rings a bell. Although my teacher said they might not be myths," he nodded thoughtfully. "She believed all stories were realities that others see, and when we hear or read them, we are taken into the story to witness it all."
"Your teacher's a smart woman, then," Rin tucked in the wings on his shoes. "And she's right. Greek Myths aren't actually myths," Lindsey chimed in. "So, is Percy Jackson real?" Marinette questioned. Adrien looked over at her with a quizzical look. "Hey, there's such a thing as idolizing a character from a book," she said defensively. Sofia smirked. "Percy Jackson is unfortunately nonexistent. He exists, sure, but not in this universe. The writer of that book had a dream of a demigod, and the plot of the story follows the dream," she explained. "Sorry to burst your bubble."
"Then, you guys are demigods?" Adrien asked. "Oh, you finally figured it out. What gave it away?" Katsina stated, almost teasingly. "You asked about Greek myths and as much I thought demigods didn't exist, I remembered that maybe people just aren't aware of their existence," Adrien shrugged. "Okay, if they are demigods, who are their godly parents?" Marinette questioned. "Son of Hermes. Hence the flying shoes," Rin said. "Sofia's a daughter of Athena."
"I can introduce myself, thank you," Sofia puffed a breath of air. Rin stuck out his tongue at her. "I'm a daughter of Nike," Lindsey nodded. "I would've thought you were a daughter of Artemis," Marinette pointed out. "Mari, Artemis is a maiden goddess. She doesn't have children," Adrien hissed. "Oh, oops," she said. "And I'm a daughter of Hecate," Katsina stated. Adrien nodded at them. "Now that we have introductions settled, can we get out of here? All of this stuff seems radioactive all of the sudden," Marinette looked around nervously. "Thought you'd never ask. Now, where do you want to plan the next move?" Sofia asked. "How about one of the public parks?" suggested Rin. Katsina had a coy smile plastered on her face. "Alright," she waved a hand. Marinette could see a puff of smoke envelope her, and when it cleared, she was in a park, Adrien standing next to her. "Wow," Adrien blinked. "Really need to get used to that."
"Ha. So, what do we do? How do we use this thing?" Lindsey questioned. "I'm not doing anything until I know we can use this thing safely," Katsina warned. "Right. That stupid prophecy," Rin scoffed. "Whoa, I didn't hear anything about a prophecy," Adrien held up a hand. "Sofia, you have it memorized, right?" Rin asked. "Well, of course," she rolled her eyes. She cleared her throat before talking again,
"Magic, messenger, victory, mind,
Travel to far off land to find
The weakness of a butterfly
Who rips the world of what he was denied.
A gauntlet and duo help in darkest times,
But beware, for all magic comes with a price."

"I don't know much about prophecies, but I don't like them already," Marinette shuddered. "Marinette," Adrien nudged her. "What?" she turned to him. He handed her his phone. It was open to Paris's recent news:

BREAKING NEWS:
Paris has been overrun by a masked villain! Where are Ladybug and Chat Noir??
A masked person, who calls himself Hawkmoth, and a bunch of other villains, have taken over the city the minute he heard of the heroes' absence. Paris is in chaos! Will our heroes return and assist, or have they abandoned us? For Paris's sake, I hope they will return. Hawkmoth had said, and I quote, "If I can't have love, then I will have power."
-----

"What?!" Marinette nearly dropped the phone. "We have to go back."
"Mari, we can't go back now. Hawkmoth has an entire army of new villains. I don't think two against about a few hundred is a good chance," Adrien warned. "So, that's the man we have to defeat," Sofia glared at the picture of him. "Yep," Marinette sighed sadly. "If the gauntlet is the only move we've got, then let's do it," Lindsey nodded. Katsina looked at all of them warily. "I warned you. All magic comes with a price." She closed her eyes, and when she opened them again, the gauntlet was glowing. "It glows pure white when the weakness is in our sight. Notice how it's grey now. We're close, but not enough."
"Wow!" Adrien marveled. He heard and always believed in other magic, but never thought to see it for himself. "We'll continue searching tomorrow. I'm absolutely worn out," Marinette yawned. "And I don't think Tikki has eaten either."
"Yea, I need to feed Plagg," Adrien agreed. "We'll meet back here tomorrow, then," Sofia suggested. They all nodded in agreement, and Adrien and Marinette headed back to their hotel.

*•*•*

"You really think we can trust them with the gauntlet?" Marinette asked as she shut the door of their room. "Pretty sure. If not, they'll defeat Hawkmoth without us, so it's pretty even," Adrien shrugged. "What do you think, Plagg?"

After a while with no reply, Adrien called out, "Plagg? Plagg?"
"Tikki?" Marinette called. No reply. "But we saw them earlier, right before left the park."
"Where could they run off to?" he asked. "Unless, they didn't run off."
"Don't tell me that Tikki and Plagg were the price for that stupid gauntlet!" Marinette exclaimed. "Oh gods, please not that, we've got to find them," Adrien shook his head.
Marinette raised an eyebrow and looked around. "But last I checked, they can only phase through objects and fly. How could they have disappeared just like that?"
----------------------------
Hey guys! Here's another chapter! Now this, is where all the fun begins. Next chapter is mostly gonna be what happened to Tikki and Plagg! You excited? I hope so! xx
-Nhi/Kat🌴💥

Ps: please give my "Instagram For Demigods" book on percystories a read! I'd appreciate it!