m a r c h [ 2 ]

connor march
the dreamer

two years later, eight year old ramona kavinsky, with her auburn brown mess of a hair styled in a braid that reached just below the back hem of her birthday dress and her fringe swept, and pinned to the side of her head, watched as the couple across the street hastily shoved a pile of suitcases in the trunk of a van.

with a frown etched on her face, she decided that it was the worst birthday she could ever have as the pool party her parents had planned continued in the garden without the birthday girl in sight.

she knew in a few hours, there would be no family to visit across the street. in a few days, there would be no exciting discussions over the stars that painted the sky and the moon that illuminated the tree house. in a few months, there would be no telescope to search the skies and no tree to search the skies in since as a new family moves in, the tree house would be taken down.

"mona?" connor appears all of a sudden, with his arms behind his back and a smile that stretched his lips. "there you are!"

at that moment, ramona branded her mind with the memory of connor's bright green eyes and dimpled smile. he was hiding a box behind his back, and it turned out to be a birthday gift that she still keeps around somewhere. a rocket ship, complete with an astronaut figurine that she knew was to resemble her, despite the lack of similarity in hair colour because she knew very well that she didn't have curly blonde hair.

and as his mother called out for him, as he wrapped his arms around her, ramona kavinsky let her arms hang beside her for if she had returned the gesture of affection and made it a complete hug, she would have never let go of the boy.

connor march had left a bitter memory when the day of her birth comes around every year after that.