Chapter 1

Dev woke up with his head pounding and body aching. He tried to open his eyes and could feel them burning. Every small movement required a ton of effort. He sighed and let his head sink back on the pillow. He remembered his childhood memories. When he was 12 years old he was sick with fever and his mom dropped all her work to take care of him. Nothing worked magic like her cool hands on his hot forehead and the love she poured into cooking khichdi for him.

Snap out of it, you are not a child anymore! He rebuked himself. On top of that there are tons to do at work. The upcoming acquisition was extremely important and the valuation negotiation was scheduled this week. Besides, he wasn't a child anymore, he told himself. He checked his bedside clock - Oh my goodness! It's already 10 AM!

Dev pulled himself out of bed and quickly washed his face and dressed up for work.

Sona was in the kitchen. Aunty ji had gone with Mamaji and Mamiji to attend a relative's wedding today and would be back tomorrow. She had diligently helped kichu bhaiyya prepare all the food and packed enough for auntyji so that she doesn't have to eat unhealthy food. Phew! it had definitely been a very tiring and hectic morning. But she enjoyed her work so much. These challenges were always welcome and especially for Auntyji and Dev who she had started loving with all her heart. She smiled.

Kichu bhaiyya had said that he hadn't seen Dev, and it was surprising because she had come in very early too. Normally she should have met Dev for breakfast. Where is he? Did he go early to work?

He should have come down by now if he hasn't already left. Sona felt a bit disappointed.

She missed the short glimpse and friendly banter they shared over breakfast. What with mamiji's taanas and all the work she did, the time spent with Dev was the moments that made her feel happy and brought a smile to her lips. And today she was sure she would be bale to spend more time with Dev as she had arrived bright and early! Ahh well, some things are just not meant to be Sona, she told herself as she looked down crestfallen.

She took her charts and the printouts from the new journal that she had downloaded for Auntyji and sat down to prepare the charts for the next day. Suddenly, she heard footsteps come down the stairs and looked up just in time to see Dev staggering down the steps. She immediately knew something was off and rushed to help him.

As Dev rushed down the stairs weakness engulfed him and he almost blacked out as he slowed down and held out a steadying hand and bent over slightly. Immediately he felt two soft cool hands in his palms and as he inhaled the sweet perfume his instinct was to grasp those hands and never let go! He looked up with a tiny smile and saw Sona's beautiful eyes filled with concern looking at him. 

He felt his blood pumping until his ears. Oh dear, must be the fever, he told himself. 

"Mr. Dixit are you alright?" Sona asked.

"Yes, yes I'm fine no problem. Mujhe kya hua", Dev said.

"Mr. Dixit umm, I'm sorry but you don't look fine at all. Actually aap kaafi terrible lag rahe hain" 

"What?! Miss Bose aap meri tareef kar rahi hain to please main aap ko bata doon ki aapko ye kaam aata nahin hai bilkul bhi.", Dev smiled and started coughing immediately.

"No Mr. Dixit aap kuchh bhi kahiye I won't let you go to office in this condition. At least sit down for a bit and eat something and take a medicine and then go. I insist!"

"No but I'm already very late and ...", Dev tried to argue but Sona cut him short immediately.

"No arguments! Thoda aur late hone se kuchh nahin hoga, and its doctor's orders! You can't refuse, ok?", Sona said and guided him slowly by the arm to the lounge chair where it would be slightly breezy and Dev would be more comfortable.

Dev could barely walk, and Sona's heart melted to see such a strong man suffering silently. She helped him put his feet up on the futon and said,  " You need to take care of yourself Mr. Dixit. Duniya bhar ke tensions aur stress khud pe lete hain aur kisi ko kuchh nahin kehte. Daadi kehti hain ki insaan ka shareer tabhi bimar padta hai jab uska mann thaka hua ho."

"Achha? to aapko lagta hai ki mera mann bimar hai?"

"Haan." And she smiled sadly at him.

Dev looked at Sona and suddenly his heart started pounding harder. Why did her words affect him so deeply? He wished that he could listen to everything she says all the time and time itself would stand still. Whoa! Since when did he start thinking like this? What was happening to him?

Sona was his employee and his mother's nutritionist on top of it. If he did anything stupid he would definitely lose her and his mother would suffer and he would never ever let that happen. No, it would be unethical, she was his employee. 

But why did he crave her touch? Why did her innocent blabber make him smile? She had such a pure heart and an innocence liek no one else. When she spoke, he knew that she cared and for him that concern in her eyes was enough. It drove him crazy, but he could deal with it. He was Dev Dixit. HE was tough and strong and he could deal with it.

To be continued in Chapter 2..