Wearing A dress??

Riley looked at herself in the mirror. It wasn't anything fancy, just a simple white sundress with a black sash. If she'd had her way she would have had an all white outfit of jeans, Converse and a t-shirt however Jay's family was here and she didn't want to embarrass him. Not after that humiliating dinner with her parents and home-wrecker of a cousin. She opted for no makeup but couldn't resist wearing some white Vans. Riley didn't know what to do with her hair since it was short so she left it out, the tips now dark blue. Voila!

"Done and dusted!" she declared to herself, glad everything was sorted. "Still can't believe I'm wearing a dress though."

Not that it took her long, she was never too fussed about her appearance. This was odd considering how special the day was, shouldn't she be queasy with nerves like every other woman? Riley thought about it for only a moment before dismissing it. She was marrying her best friend and the person she loved more than anything. Jay made her comfortable, there was actually nothing to be nervous about.

Her future mother-in-law slipped into the room and gave her a smile of approval. Dinah was a small lady, petite in every way but with a huge heart and generosity that knew no bounds.

"You look beautiful dear," she said with a genuine smile yet a slight sadness in her eyes. "Are you sure your family can't make it though?"

Riley's own smile faltered for a brief moment as her thoughts went to her dismissive and borderline neglecting parents. She revisited that humiliating dinner from a few months ago in her mind and mentally cringed. They were no longer her family, even with all the second chances she gave them. Riley was marrying the one person who loved her most of all and she was gaining a family through him, people that welcomed her with open arms.

"I have everyone I need right here Dinah," she said, smiling at the older woman.

"Well then, I think it's time," was the reply before placing a simple daisy chain on Riley's head in place of a bouquet.

Her future mother-in-law took her hand and led her to the backyard of their house. There was only a few people here, mostly Jay's family but Riley's cousin was there, the one she stayed with when she first came to America. They weren't that close but she thought it was only fair as her cousin had taken her in, even if he barely knew her. It was all microwave meals left in the fridge due to him working late each night and cereal as he left early each morning. They had a mutual understanding though and it worked well for them in a distant not-much-communication kinda way. Tane nodded at her from the porch doorway, a small smile on his face.

Very soft music played from somewhere, barely there but enough to give a slight atmosphere to the afternoon air. Tyrese, Dinah's husband and Jay's stepfather, offered her his arm which she accepted. He was the closest father figure she had and he knew this, quietly asking if Riley would allow him the honour of 'giving her away' at the wedding. She nodded her acceptance, slightly misty-eyed, as no words were able to describe the emotion she felt. Now she felt happy as she walked through the parted crowd of people that had accepted her, even after Riley had told them about the unfortunate accident in the past.

There were no chairs, everyone standing around the oak tree that served as the alter. The couple had thought it amusing, and agreed that though it wasn't the one they had met in, they couldn't (and didn't want to) get married on their high school field. A couple of ancient cats stood amongst the roots, watching the proceedings with feline disinterest. Jay stood there smiling, a white button down tucked into black jeans with black suspenders over top. He had a dark blue bow tie that she knew he had put on for fun, unable to resist his love for Doctor Who. Riley thought he looked handsome and told him that in a whisper when they stood next to one another, laughing when he replied with "I know." She wiped away a couple of tears that had finally fell down his cheeks from when he saw her walk out and faced Dinah who was carrying out the ceremony.

It was quite short; simple but meaningful vows and plain silver wedding bands for each of them. It was only meant to be a symbolic moment, as opposed to a huge statement, and it was. Followed by home cooked food provided by the families and cooperative gifts as they presented Jay with an old Polaroid with enough film to last him for a while and gave Riley some handmade notebooks with a fountain pen and ink. The couple were ecstatic, they didn't want much, and thanked the small gathering profusely for the two perfect gifts. Riley couldn't stop looking at Jay and he knew it, sending her winks every now and then. He took some excellent Polaroids and some terrible ones (the latter on purpose she thought), most of them pulling silly faces together.

The few photos that Tyrese had sneakily taken showed the newlyweds trying to put icing on each others faces, Jay getting some on his forehead and Riley on her nose. These would be the ones that were treasured most by the couple, capturing a moment of laughter and freedom. At this point in the evening she had dropped a daisy chain that she'd quickly made onto Jay's head, something he loved and proceeded to pretend he was having a photo-shoot, much to everyone's amusement as Riley grabbed his camera. The wedding carried into the evening before the newlyweds retired to Jay's room in the house, still intact from his high school years.

"We actually made it..." he whispered as they curled up facing each other. "To be honest I don't see the big hype about getting married."

Riley chuckled and closed her eyes, thinking over the day.
"I understand... but I feel like some people do it because its a celebration of them and their other half. Sorta like saying 'I love you this much that I'm willing to stand in front of the people we love best and declare it' I guess," she said. "We could think that saying vows are silly and unnecessary but it's also trust. Putting your trust in the other person that they mean what they're saying, trusting that they stay true to their promise."

There was a slight silence as both thought about it.

"Ok that was so deep, Adele was rolling in it if I do say so myself," she laughed, Jay joining in.

"Yea, but I don't need a wedding to know that you love me," he said. "And I don't think you need one for me."

"Eh, your mum wanted us to have one," she replied with a thoughtful smile. "How could I say no to that wonderful woman?"

"True," Jay said with a fond smile. "Well Mrs Ricks, what next?"

"Wanna go train hopping for our 'honeymoon'?"

"Sounds cool, but if we get arrested I'm telling them it was your idea," Jay laughed.

"Deal."