Cliffs

"Dude you'll be fine! I did this all the time back home!" shouted Riley from the base of the cliff.

"Were you some kind of adrenaline junkie lunatic??!!! Why would you do this??!!" yelled Jay from the top.

"C'mon don't be a wuss! It's fun once you've done it the first time!"

Jay shook his bare shoulders to get rid of the fear. Wiping his hands on his blue swimming shorts, he took a few shaky breaths.

"If you don't die the first time!" added the black bikini clad girl swimming out of the landing area.

Jay leant over the side and flipped her off while giving her a glare. Riley just laughed.

"Hurry up and go!" she pressed him.

"Fine but I want you to know that if I die.....you can have my prank collection. The rotten eggs, banana peels you name it" he said for his dying speech. "3, 2, 1 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

He screamed as he jumped off the cliff and landed 60ft below in clear, refreshing seawater. The two friends were at the beach but Riley had spotted some cliffs and couldn't help herself but check them out while dragging Jay along. That said girl was at the moment practically dying of laughter.

"Did you (laugh) hear (breath) yourself when you (laugh+breath) were falling??!! You screamed like a 6 year old girl!!!" she sputtered, trying to keep from drowning while she laughed.

Jay shook his hair off his face with one flick and glared at her again.

"Well you sound like a drowning walrus choking on it's own throat so you can't say much!" Jay shot back.

"Much," said Riley cheekily.

"Smartass."

"Brickhead."

"Peabrain."

"Ankle flab."

"Ankle flab??"

"Yea, the flab around the ankles that everyone hates but has to live with because it's illegal to get rid of it by my methods," said Riley.

"First off, I don't think that's an actual thing. Second, are you trying to say that everyone hates me and you want to get rid of me but you can't because the way you want to is illegal?" asked Jay. "I don't even understand you sometimes."

Riley's jokingly narrowed eyes said it all.

Jay placed a hand over his heart while using the other to keep him afloat.

"Oh I'm hurt! You have wounded me oh beautiful maiden with words of venom and thorns! How shall I win back your favor and get into your good graces?" spouted Jay in a posh accent.

Riley grinned.

"A big pack of Cheese Supreme Doritos and some-"

"-green and brown M&Ms," finished Jay with a smile. "I know you man."

He started swimming to land.

"Yea you do..." whispered Riley.

She swam after him. As they followed the trail back up to the top, Riley gazed at the back of Jay while she followed behind him. From his tousled hair 8 inches above her own height of 5'4 to his tan legs and feet below. She seemed to know more yet know less about him everyday. She knew his favorite, well, everything but didn't know his past, his childhood, hadn't even met his parents. They just hung out wherever.

They reached the top and collected their towels. Drying themselves off, they lay their towels on the grassy patch they were on and relaxed in the sun. After a while Riley was too curious and asked Jay the questions that were burning in her mind.

"Jay, how come you never talk about the past?"

The boy opened one eye. He saw Riley leaning on one arm in expectance so he sat up and rested his arms on his knees. Riley did the same.

"Well, I don't really talk about the past because there's not much to talk about. I had a pretty good childhood and lots of friends. I guess once high school came around we all just drifted apart to our own cliques. Except me. I was a loner. I didn't have a clique because obviously that would defeat the purpose of a loner but I didn't have a group I belonged to. I was just a-"

"-misfit," smiled Riley sadly. "Like me."

"Well you had friends didn't you?"

"They all backed away once the girl died. Left me to deal with it on my own as my parents were away on business at that time. Mum and Dad called about the cousin America thing but I haven't seen them in months. Guess they weren't the friends I thought they were."

"Well, you got me now and I'm not going anywhere," declared Jay wrapping an arm around her.

Riley got butterflies at the gesture but dismissed them.

"Me neither," she replied.