Falling

"Dude, what if I didn't pass??!!" hyperventilated Riley, her hands on her cheeks. Usually she didn't care about her grades but Jay had convinced her that it was good for the mind to have succeeded at school. She reckoned it was something he made up to get her to do better.

"Riley! Riley!" Jay grabbed her shoulders to make her face him. He knew she only got more worked up if she kept pacing in circles. "You have been working your butt off and relax. With my tutoring skills you'll have no problems."

Riley scrunched her face in a frown.

"I got a D on my chemistry test because of your 'tutoring skills'," she air-quoted. "And I only just passed in History because I put Adolf Hitler as the German Chancellor in WWll and not Napolean as you suggested."

"Okay, you have to admit I had you there 'coz you genuinely believed me but what can I say, chemistry doesn't like me," grinned Jay cheekily.

Riley rolled her eyes with a smile on her face.

"Whatever man," she said.

*********

She straightened her graduation robe and made sure her lip ring was secure. Last time she had to go on stage she pulled her lip ring too hard with her teeth and since it was loose it started bleeding. Not her best day but she looked like a vampire which was pretty cool. She gave Jay a quick hug before getting in line between some red-head in glasses and the stoner from her first class at the school.

'Is he drooling??!!' she thought as she looked around the dude in front of her. He was and he looked like he was sleeping as well. 'Props to him for not falling over,' she thought while poking him in the shoulder.

BAM!

Her pointed hand was frozen in the air as she looked down at the boy drooling on the ground. He had landed awkwardly so his arms were either side of him, his face in the floor and his butt sticking up at her.

"Yeah get some!" shouted Jay from down the line as he chuckled in amusement. The rest of the students were laughing at the poor unconcious boy.

"Isn't he more your type!" she replied, laughing when Jay's grin turned to a scowl.

Jay just looked away sulking and didn't look at her while they made their way inside. Riley laughed. Then she grimaced as the teachers dragged the passed out boy away, his face scraping the rough concrete and leaving bits of skin snagged on stones.

*********

"WE DID IT!!!!!!" yelled Riley as Jay picked her up and spun her around in a hug. They had both gotten their diplomas and the Principal even said well done after everything they had put him through. Maybe he was just happy he was never going to see the duo again. Jay set her down but didn't let her go. She looked up at him.

"Thank you Jay."

"For what?"

"For everything. Talking to me, tutoring me, feeding me on some occasions and bailing me out trouble."

"You're my misfit partner in crime Lee," he murmured, using her nickname. "I wouldn't leave you behind or alone."

"Then never do," she whispered, a certain look in her eyes.

Jay paused for a second that seemed like an hour to Riley. Then he smiled a happy smile and they both knew that they wouldn't leave each other.