Apples

This was the life Jay thought as he relaxed in the grass under the tree. The soft rustle of the leaves above him, the steady breathing of Riley next to him as they laid with their eyes closed. After the nightmare episode the couple realised that they didn't want to be anchored down in society. They just wanted to do whatever whenever and not give a damn about consequences. No taxes or bills or the blaring noise of the city. Even the suburbs were restricting.

"I just wanna get away from it all Jay," complained his girlfriend.

"I know Lee," was the reply. "We'll do that. Get away. Deck out a van and just drift around. For money we can sell my photos and your short stories to local newspapers and magazines that we come across."

Excited by the thought of endless freedom they planned all day. What vehicle would be best, how to outfit it, what to sell, what to keep.

A week passed and they had everything thought out. Both Jay and Riley had preferred getting paid in cash from previous freelance assignments and had enough to last them for awhile. Long enough to earn some more anyway while travelling so hopefully it wouldn't become a problem.

The TV, fridge, bed and other furniture could be sold. Concerning clothes, the couple decided that they would only take a few items and if replacements were needed then they could visit thrift stores. That's what they had always done anyway. One piece of dinner ware each as well as cutlery. A small portable gas stove would serve as the kitchen and ingredients would be bought the day they were going to be used.
Everything was so simple. They double checked every detail and it worked. So Jay and Riley decided to put it into action. Now here they were.

Riley made a sound of contentment. She was lying on her front with her head on her arms facing him. Jay smiled at her peacefulness and went back to dozing. After a particularly loud bird squawked and woke them up, much to their grumbling, they decided to take some afternoon tea from around them.

The field they were in was near an orchard and as they had the best luck when it came to fruit, Riley and Jay ended up finding the biggest apples they had ever laid their eyes on. There wasn't a large amount of trees but enough so there was some variety in types. Green, red and golden spheres were suspended around them. Only picking what they would eat as to avoid a bunch of rotting fruit in their small storage box, Riley held the bottom of her baggy top out and Jay filled it with a variety of apples.

"Make sure to get lots of crunchy green ones," she told him as they walked to whatever tree held an apple they fancied.

"Of course," Jay smirked. "After about six years of dating you I think I would know your favourite kind of apples. Give me some credit!"

Riley poked her tongue out as her mature response and they moved to the next tree to get some particularly nice looking Granny Smiths. Jay placed some in their makeshift shirt bag but held onto one with its stalk still in it.

"You know," he began, looking down at the apple, "six years of being your boyfriend have passed and I was hoping they could stop now."

Riley's face dropped as well as her heart.

"What.." she croaked.

"I think six years has been long enough and I was wondering," he held the apple up, a silver ring on the stalk, "if I could instead become your fiancé soon to be husband."

Jay waited, his heart pounding as he saw the not necessarily happy look on his girlfriend's face.

"You asshole you scared me for a second!" she exclaimed, her face turning into a mixture of both happiness and relief.

Her boyfriend breathed again at her sort of positive reaction but he still felt the nervous flutters in his stomach.

"What do you say then?" Jay asked.

Before Riley could answer a gunshot rang out and puff of dust erupted near the couple. They immediately drew closer, their instincts to protect each other. They located the shooter, an old woman that was moving surprisingly fast towards them. She was at the other end of the orchard but closing in quickly.

"Get away from my apples you vagabonds!" shrieked the hysterical woman, her crazy white hair standing out in the distance. She was waving the gun around her head almost like a cartoon as she scampered towards the couple.

"I'm trying to propose you mad cat lady!" Jay shouted in anger, not realising he should be running.

The old woman stopped to take another shot which hit the tree trunk next to them.

"How do you know I have cats??!!!" she screeched.

"She's nuts! We have to go!" Riley yelled in earnest and took off with her arms tightly around the apples and Jay beside her.

They ran all the way through the orchard, the meadow and back to their van parked a little way off. The couple both leant against the side of the vehicle and caught their breath, Riley dropping the apples on the grass by her feet. Once they had calmed down Jay once again held up the ring, somehow it was still on the apple. It was a slightly wide silver band with interesting motifs and engravings in it. He knew Riley didn't care for jewels and found tribal looking patterns fascinating.

"You didn't get to answer coz we were interrupted by a loopy granny that oddly reminds me of my great-aunt Carrie," he said with a slight smile on his face.

"Ha she does ay? And of course I will!!" Riley said, giving him a kiss. 

Jay sighed in relief though he knew he hadn't had anything to worry about.

He placed the ring on the correct finger and they smiled at each other, looking as if they would pop from the happiness despite the near death experience.

"After all you're the apple to my pie," Jay joked, referencing the fruit scenario.

"Nooo that was so bad!" Riley shook her head but with a smile at his joke.

"It was a rotten one wasn't it?" he continued as they started to pick up the apples.

"Do you want me to reconsider your proposal?"