Don't Mess With The Misfits

'This place is huge!' Riley thought looking at the university that surrounded them. 'I bet I'm gonna get lost on the first day.'

Jay had already thought about this.

"Hey Lee, 20 bucks that you're gonna get lost at least once today," he smirked.

"You're probably right," she laughed. "I'll do my best not to coz no way am I'm losing that much money! Do you know how much food I could buy with $20?"

Her boyfriend just shook his head in disbelief, a grin on his face.

"I swear, you love food more than me," Jay fake sniffed. He wiped an imaginary tear from his eye. "I'm just third wheeling in this relationship."

"Yep!" chirped Riley playfully. "Get in line behind the parsnip and almond icing buster."

Jay gave her a look.

"But you hate parsnips. And almond icing. And almond icing covered parsnips," he stated.

"Exactly!" said Riley cheekily.

Jay just chuckled and slung his arm around Riley's shoulders. They both decided to go to the same university as Riley still didn't know much about how things worked in America and they could do their degrees at the same place. Jay was studying Photography while Riley was studying English. The photographer and the poet his parents said when the couple met them months ago.

"C'mon, lets go to our classes and meet up in the cafe for lunch," proposed Jay.

"If I don't get lost first..." mumbled Riley.

*******

The first class for Riley was interesting. She groaned when they had to stand up and introduce themselves, being a small class and all. When it was her turn she just mumbled a few sentences.

"Riley Fawkes, I'm from New Zealand and I'm not much of a people person."

The professor had other ideas.

"Really, that's cool. I went over there once, it was amazing. What made you come to America?"

Riley smirked, 'Might as well have some fun with it.'

"Trouble with the police."

The professor's eyes widened slightly as did most of the students in the room.

"Well...anyway next person," he carried on.

******

When lunch came Riley arrived on at the small cafe around the corner on time. Jay was already there, looking through his phone. He seemed surprised when Riley sat down.

"You're on time," he remarked, an eyebrow raised.

His girlfriend just laughed.

"I know I'm surprised myself. Anyway you owe me $20."

Jay's eyebrows went up even further.

"You didn't get lost?" A shake of the head. "At all?"

"Nope," she replied, popping the 'p'.

He leant across the table and gave her the money, a small smile on his face. She gladly took it and put it away, daydreaming about the food she could get. This may have taken a bit too long though.

"Lee. Can you talk to me instead of thinking about food?" asked Jay.

Riley shook herself out of her dream of fish and chips.

"Sorry, I was thinking about fish and chips from back in NZ. Speaking of which why does everyone think we say fush n' chups?! I don't say that do I? Also why is it hard to find a good fish and chip shop here? Or maybe the ones at home were just really good. Now I'm rambling so I'm gonna shut up." She ducked her head down and slightly blushed.

Jay just laughed. Her ramblings were adorable and he wasn't the only one who thought so.

A young guy approached the table with a confidence that most guys lacked. Of course looking like him would be all the confidence he needed. Blond hair in a perfect quiff, tall, light blue eyes, lightly tanned skin, t-shirt with chinos and the face that was, as one girl in the cafe who needed to learn how to whisper stated, 'carved by angels'. Riley immediately thought of weeping angels as you they looked creepy, just like the dude that was walking towards them with a sleazy smile.

"Plan D," whispered Jay with out looking at her or moving his lips.

"Copy that," she replied.

Riley started pushing her tall glass of water near the edge of the table as Jay 'dropped his fork'. This all happened in two seconds before the guy reached their table.

"Hey beautiful," he purred at Riley and took another step. Then the plan went into affect.

The guy slipped on the clear Vaseline that Jay had quickly wiped on the floor in the motion of picking up his fork. He landed beside Riley who 'accidentally' knocked the full glass off the table but caught it in the position that meant all the water spilt on the young man.

"I'm so sorry! It was an accident, I'm just so clumsy," Riley faked.

The blond started acting like a drama queen though.

"Oh my gosh you're so mean!" he whined.

"Dude, my girlfriend didn't mean it but if you're gonna act like a little girl then leave," Jay played along.

His quiff now plastered to his forehead and the front of his clothes dark with water he scrambled up and stalked off mumbling something along the lines of 'of course they're a couple', 'wait till dad hears', and 'don't ever go near them again'.

Jay smirked at the retreating back of the guy.

"Works every time."

Riley smiled across the table at him then a questioning look came over her face.

"Why do you always seem to have Vaseline with you?" she asked.

"Well, we have to keep the creeps away somehow and this plan has never failed so far," he said. "My faith in humanity is 'falling'. Get it?"

Riley just slumped over the table in loud laughter.