Chapter 30: Not That I Noticed

Daryl's calloused hands held the gun confidently as he strolled the perimeter of the prison gate. It'd been atleast a month since the last attack, or even longer, and hopefully a long while until the next one.

"Hey there, stranger," Carol said from behind Daryl as he continued his walk. "Talked to Maggie's sister yet?" she pressed.

He stopped and turned, rolling his eyes at her before walking over to where the lady stood with her arms folded. "Guess so, got a problem?"

Carol shrugged, smiling at him admiringly.

"Guess so, Pookie," she said in a teasing tone, her voice turning into a laugh as she choked out the words. "It's just... I liked you first," she continued.

Daryl sighed and turned to see Beth standing near the watchtower sadly, her golden hair was shining elegantly as she walked over to the door to the prison entrance and heaved it open, pulling it shut loudly behind her.

"Greene," was all he said.

Carol pursed her lips and nodded, her arms still folded. "I understand, but you do know Rick likes her too? I overheard-"

"That's not going to happen," he said firmly. "Beth-"

"What is she to you?" Carol asked, "A game? Just another girl to screw with? I know men like you and Beth knows men like you, Maggie knows men like you, Hershel knows men like you and so do you. I just don't want you to get hurt anymore. Daryl, you deserve someone better."

Daryl stepped closer and said loud enough for only Carol to hear, "She deserves better."

Deep down he knew it was true; that Beth Greene was far too much for him. Far too beautiful, far too smart, far too kind, far too everything. Daryl guessed that maybe he only just felt like that but a part of him knew he should give her up for someone else. What's that expression? If you love something let it go? Because the truth is Daryl knew it himself and knew one day he'd have to give up that girl for her sake because he was too much trouble.

Because he was too broken for a kid like her to fix.

There was so much of this world she hadn't explored and Daryl didn't want to keep her from that. Beth knew, of course she knew. They both knew they needed each other but also knew someday one of them would die and they'd  have to troop on without the other one. It'd happened to Rick and Lori, it'd happened to Ed and Carol, it'd happened to Otis and Patricia, it'd happened to Beth's mother and Hershel, it was going to happen to Glenn and Maggie and it was going to happen to them.

Like he had told her all those lonely night ago, "Death is inevitable" and she'd reluctantly agreed.

But Daryl could tell that she could see it happening soon and as much as Daryl didn't really want to die, he couldn't bare the thought of losing her.

To him, the deaths they had had were already too many for him to handle.

"She does," Carol finally agreed. "And so do I, don't you think? I've always deserved better than Ed and you've always deserved better than me and Beth's always deserved better than you and Lori always deserved better than Rick and Maggie's always deserved better than Glenn."

Daryl nodded and turned back around, walking away from Carol.

"Don't walk away," she called after him, "You know it's true."

His feet trod along the perimeter of the fence until a hand landed on his shoulder, it was small and soft and somewhat comforting.

"Hey, Rick tol' me to take over watch from Daryl," an unfamiliar voice said confidently, "I'm guessing that's you."