Chapter 41: An Abundance Of Mishaps

Chloe rounded the corner, her body closed dangerously close to the brick wall.

Her eyes had not yet adjusted to the dark and they could only make out the small figure of a girl walking. With steady arms, she raised her gun, prepared for whatever was about to happen or whoever that was.

The girl's blonde hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail, a gun held almost confidently in her hands. 

Chloe couldn't place who it was but she was sure she knew. She lowered her gun, pocketing it incase she accidently shot. 

If there was one thing Rick had taught her about handling a gun, it was that you never shoot unless you have to; you never shoot unless you have a reason or a death wish. 

Chloe trod carefully along the broken concrete road as it crumbled beneath her feet. She was trying to be quiet, afraid of waking the dead or stirring up other survivors who would eat her up for dinner. 

Literally.

Rick's gun was now held in her hands again as they shook, rain now falling from the sky in small drops, the clouds dark above her head. 

"Oh, shit," Chloe realised, looking around for cover. Rain may not slow the walkers down, but it sure would slow her down and it would make the roads wet and dangerous. It had finally stopped raining a few hours ago and she'd been contemplating finding her way back to the prison but it was so far away.

When she'd left, Daryl had just broken his leg and she prayed to God that Rick was okay. 

They'd gotten to know eachother so well in the last few days and she was afraid of what would happen if he died. He was her only true friend at the prison and the kiss... 

The kiss was just heaven. 

Neither of them had meant for it to happen. Rick had gotten a little drunk and from what she'd heard, it'd happened a lot. She was just wandering around when she saw him lying on the ground. She carried him back to her cell, her intentions innocent, and had lied him down on the bed. 

Chloe wasn't sure if he was drunk or just sick and with everyone dropping like flies, she wanted to make sure he was okay.

When he'd woken, she was lying in the blankets next to him with her body pressed dangerously close to him and her face snuggled into his neck. She hadn't meant to, she had fallen asleep and done it by accident but as soon as he woke, she felt the lips burning on her cheek and the absense of a body.

As soon as Chloe had said his name, he'd walked back to the bed, hungover, and knelt by the bed.

"Morning," he'd said softly, brushing her hair from her forehead. "Did you have a nice sleep, Chloe?" 

She'd nodded, telling him she felt like eating eggs which he'd laughed at and she'd felt foolish for saying that but before she could say anything, his lips had been on her and she'd been kissing him back. 

Chloe never knew she needed the kiss until it happened.

She brushed her hand against her lips, still able to taste his. The rain was falling heavy now and she basked in the illusion that it would wash away her scent. 

Holding the bags of supplies in her hands, she decided to make the long walk back to the prison. As long as it rained, she'd been that little bit safer but she still couldn't place who that blonde girl was.

Maggie held Glenn's hand, each taking turns sipping from a warm bottle of water.

Beth had left only a few hours ago but Maggie was beginning to worry that she wasn't ever coming back and they were all going to die.