Chapter 4: He's back

~~~~~~~~~LEVY'S POV~~~~~~~~~~

As I had hoped, the day passed on rather quickly soon after the whole incident. The amount of homework given to me on the first day wasn't enormous. However, with the work I have to do when I get home, it'll have to be another sleepless night. I sighed as I collected my belongings as soon as the final bell rang. I headed to my locker to take out the extra textbooks and supplies I needed for the homework and essays. As I walked out the door of the school, I caught a glimpse of Lucy and the others. She saw me and started to walk through the students rushing towards the door. I put my head down and walked as fast as I could to the conjoined school. In the overwhelming crowd, I managed to lose them. At the entrance of the elementary school, numerous parents gathered around to pick up their child. I tried to find Hiroki, spinning in circles and standing on my tippy-toes over the taller parents and kids. 

"Levy! Levy!" As I turned around, there stood Hiroki with his hands over his head, waving them back and forth. The biggest smile was plastered on his face. He hesitated walking over to me before turning to three other boys his age and give each of them a high five. He then ran over to me, giddy and happy as ever. 

"Hey Hiroki! Those your new friends?" I inquired, pointing to the boys. The boys had seen me pointing and waved to both of us. 

"Yea! That's Andy, Riku and Charlie. They're all in my classroom and guess what? They all love anime too!" he explained happily. Hiroki had dived in headfirst into the world of anime this last summer and became obsessed. While I like to watch anime, I prefer the manga myself. 

"That's great," I smiled. 

"They even asked if they could hang out with me soon. I'd love to show them my new gaming console!" At this, I froze. 

"No. They can't come over to our house, Hiroki," I said frantically. 

"Why not?" he pouted. I leaned over and whispered in his ear.

"You know how Joseph can be." Joseph was the name of our stepfather. I used to call him dad but.... things happened and he's lost that respect. He's lost all of my respect, to be perfectly honest. Hiroki know this but never understood why. I never told him how horrible Joseph really is because he needs a father-figure in his life, even if in reality he's a jerk. Even though Hiroki doesn't know about me, he has seen the drunken bouts of rage Joseph after coming home late at night. He knows Joseph's an alcoholic and smartly avoids him on those nights. Then, Joseph would kiss up to Hiroki to gain his trust once again and the cycle repeats over again. 

Hiroki frowned and grudgingly nodded his head, shoulders sagging. It was terrible seeing him sad, especially with his usual bubbly personality. "Maybe you could go over to one of their houses, instead?" I said carefully.

Hiroki looked up at me, poker face set, and shrugged. He hadn't mastered his poker face yet because I could see in his eyes that he was unhappy. I sighed and took his hand. 

"Lets go home" 

As we walked further away from the school, Hiroki regained his happy persona once more and went on about his day. I smiled and laughed at his jokes. Once we reached the house, I placed my books on a table in the hallway towards the living room. I turned to Hiroki and told him to start his homework. We were alone for most of the day with both mom and Joseph at work. Hiroki pouted and got on his knees dramatically.

"Please, oh, Please Queen Levy! Let me do-eth my homework-eth later-eth!" he cried. I giggled at his little act.

"Good sir! Should thou do thine homework at once, might he be rewarded with mac n' cheese?" I declared in the worst British accent I could muster. He gasped and bolted up to his room. I smiled as he left before heading into the kitchen.