Chapter 13: The Unexpected

●Levy's POV●

The next two weeks were indescribable. The winter began to set in as the last of the leaves of autumn  faded away. I sat in the corner of the roof, wearing a black hoodie that belonged to Hiroki, some gloves and a scarf. A book in hand and content with where I was.

So far, my routine with Freed was working. He would text me always with minimum 10 word messages.

(8:56)Second floor, going toward the Bio rooms.

(10:33)First floor, going into the library.

(9:45)Near the courtyard.

(12:18)Heading to the lunchroom.

The messages went on. I never responded, I only left the area they were headed and stayed a floor away from them. Sometimes I saw Freed when I made my way up to the roof. A scowl plastered on his face but his eyes soft and understanding when he glanced at me, before hurrying away in the opposite direction.

I managed to stay under Joseph's radar for a while now. Mostly he hadn't said anything to me nor has he hurt me severely. The most was arm grips and pushing. My bruises bgan to heal. Instead of being nasty dark purple/blue bruises, they were fading to a yellowish-green color. I was able to avoid Evergreen in my gym class as well, given that we always seemed to be doing different activities than their class.

Things were strangly calm. And while, in the back of my mind, that calmness irked me, I let it be for now to revel in the silence.

I set my book down and grabbed one of my old sketchbooks from a couple of years ago. I started to draw a faint memory of my dream from the previous night. I only began doing this again when I remembered how calming sketching can be. And because I needed to find out why I kept seeing those eyes in my dreams almost every other night now.

Those piercing red eyes were the only clear things I could percieve from every dream, along with the sensation of falling and an eerie feeling. Almost similar to the hairs on the back of your neck standing up. The eyes, I found, were almond shaped and had flecks of sliver within them. They were beautiful, a piece of art that you could only dream of. Ironic, isn't it? And as beautiful as they were, the eyes were soothing.

Almost as if saying "You are protected. You are safe. I won't let anyone hurt you anymore."

I could only chalk this down to my subconscious trying to push away my anxiety. After all, I really had no one to tell me that in person. The best thing I could do is lie consistently and hopefully convince myself.

A cold breeze chilled the still air and I hugged my brother's sweater closer. Definitely not the best time to be outside in a skirt. I checked the time on my phone, finding that my lunch period was just about to end. I sighed, putting my sketchbook down. Time had gone by so quickly. It felt like just yesterday I was being drowned in that fountain. I shivered at the thought.

I looked down at my body. My hands wrapped around my stomache and my legs pulled tightly inwards. Just sitting pathetically in the corner of an isolated roof. The same words so many others spoke to me running through my mind.

Ugly...
Weak..
Pathetic...

The same stupid things that happened year after year. God, did I hate the monotony of it. But do I say anything? Do I complain? Do I rebel? No.

Maybe because you deserve it, a small voice spoke.

I wasn't shivering anymore. That's when I noticed the warm streaks of tears gently moving down my face. I touched my cheeks, surprised to find the salty water on my fingertips. I quickly wiped them off with the sleeve of the jacket. I collected all of my things and made my way off the rooftop.