Ten

"The most beautiful people we have known,
are those who have known defeat,
known suffering, known struggle, known loss,
and have found their way out of the depths.
Beautiful people do not just happen."
- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross

Pete stared the kid down, almost a little bit in fear. He reminded him of his younger self, and if he was truly like him, there was much to be scared of. The teenager stood there with classic angst, a fist on his jutting hip now with impatience. Finally, Mikey held out a hand, smiling brightly. Pete groaned inwardly. The charm was almost too much to handle. As the two shook hands, he watched the other boy's face, stunned as it remained stoic and disinterested. How anyone could look like that whilst shaking Mikey's hand was beyond Pete, and bugs of obligation crawled on his skin, itching him to call the teen out. But with a quick slap of reality, Pete realized how hopeless it was to call out a teenager on their relatively teenlike tendencies. He kept his dumb mouth shut.

"Thank you," Mikey said, taking his hand away. He pushed it into his pocket, fidgeting uncomfortably. He cast a desperate glance to Pete, and it soon became clear that all three of them had reached the height of their social abilities, and were now flailing like fish out of water. Mikey had resorted to looking down at his shoes, mumbling quietly to himself about the dirt on them. The scrawny teen had begun adjusting his scarf and fixing his hair, looking around for saving. Pete would've sunk back as well in most situations, however, they truly needed a place to stay and it didn't seem like either of the other two were going to get it for them. He stepped forward cautiously.

"Uh, yeah, we need a room for a night or two. I'm not sure how long we'll be staying." Pete was fumbling his words. He didn't remember being quite so awkward with Frank, but that had been a completely different situation, and he reckoned he was still buzzed or hungover and emotionally exhausted. Now, being rejuvenated and aware of his failure to notice social cues, his discomfort was at an all time high.

"You won't wanna stay long, I promise you that," the teen grumbled in response. "But a night may do you some good. You guys look beat." He didn't seem to bother that he had offended them, with the snarky grin that just barely hid behind his scarf. Pete glanced at Mikey, who laughed a bit and made a motion to the dark circles beneath his eyes. Pete crossed his arms over his chest and rolled his eyes playfully.

"Look, kid, can you just get us a room? Let us talk to your parents." Pete said, already getting real tired of this right-on-time emo-episode. The kid was a spitting image of everything Pete hated about himself when he was a fed up teen.

But the kid remained surprisingly tranquil, smilingly softly at the two of them and walking towards the Volkswagen behind them. Popping the trunk, he threw his torn guitar case into it, whatever was inside rattling violently. He slammed the trunk shut and then turned to face them. "Follow me, lucky customers," his words were warmer than he probably intended. He was dressed for edge, poised to be unique, but his small town eyes and vibe told a different story. He headed towards to entrance to the motel, walking on his bare tiptoes. Mikey unexpectedly grabbed Pete's hand, sending a rush of fear and love to his brain and then through the body. He became stiff with stimulation. Mikey squeezed and dragged him along.

When they entered the motel, Pete let himself close up again. The entire place was entirely homey, and the check-in desk even featured family photos. Pete let his eyes wander to one that was clearly the teen, and what looked like his father behind him. A guitar was held tight in the boy's hand, and a beer bottle in his father's. A red x had been drawn and yet faded over the beer bottle. Both their smiles and eyes looked empty. Pete decided he needed to look into a mirror as soon as possible, for he was beginning to feel a sense of belonging in such an empty photo. Perhaps he looked it, too.