Chapter 3

Chapter 3

~Percy's POV~

The next few days were a blur. I walked around in a constant daze, unsure of what, if anything, was a possible solution. I suppose my friends noticed, it was hard to tell. I just didn't know what to do. The mask was slipping, and I didn't know if I had what it took to push it back up.

About a week later, I was deathly tired, due to sleepless nights tossing and turning, desperately searching for an answer. But none came. Instead, there was only exhaustion and frustration. I yawned, stretching on a bench after having climbed the lava wall twice, thanks to Coach Hedge, who insisted that exercise would wake me up. Ha, yeah right. on the second try, I'd slipped and broken my wrist, plus sprained my ankle.

I heard the crunch of footsteps on gravel, and Annabeth sat down beside me. "Percy?" I glanced at her, before looking away. "What's wrong, Percy?" shaking my head, I did my best imitation of a dry smile, putting my arm around her. "Hey, I'm fine, y'know. Just...thinking a lot. About the war and stuff." She hesitated, then nodded understandingly. "Well, I'm here if...if you need me." I nodded firmly. "I know that." She smiled gently at me.

"But..." I looked round at her, surprised she had left. "Do you- I mean, are you-uh..." She took my hand in hers, and it tensed immediately. I had to resist the urge to yank it away. Pain filled Annabeth's bright grey eyes. She swept a few unruly strands of her golden hair behind her ear and looked at me, her eyes demanding an explanation. "Are-are you bored w-with our...relationship?" I started, looking at her dumbly. "Wha-what!?" She smiled sheepishly. "I guess I'm just being silly, huh?" I nodded quickly, false confusion creasing my eyebrows. Had I been that obvious? Oh...She got up and smiled at me, before striding off.

Yup. I really hate myself.

As I got up, groaning softly and hobbling towards my cabin, I heard voices around the back of the Zeus cabin, which was next to mine. Slipping around to the side, I positioned myself so that if anyone came around the corner, it would just look like I was walking to my cabin.

"I know that!" Wait, what? That voice was... Nico di Angelo's. What was he doing here? "Calm down, dude, just pointing it out." And that was undoubtedly Jason. What on earth was going on here?

"Just let me go!"

"Nico, I-"

"LET ME GO!"

"They might not take kindly to y-"

"I DON'T CARE! I have to-"

I could tell that Nico's voice was about to break with the strain. Jason's soft voice murmured comfortingly to him, and I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time. Something strange and...painful. I suddenly hated Jason for a moment, just a moment, but it was enough to confuse me even more. Go figure.

No. I was no use to anyone like this. All that mattered now was that someone was distressed, and that someone was a friend, thus it was my duty to help.

Hobbling around the corner slowly, I blinked at the scene that awaited me.