Chapter 16

Chapter 16

This is a Nico chapter.

~Nico's POV~

"Um..." I cleared my throat, colouring in embarrassment. Percy stood on the other side of the room, having just come out of the shower, looking bemused. A towel was wrapped around his waist, fortunately high enough to cover everything, but did nothing to cover the toned torso above it. His raven hair dripped as rivulets of water ran down his tanned chest. I couldn't really help but stare...

"Yeeeees?" Percy dragged out the word, raising his eyebrows at me. "Did you need something or are you just going to stand there and marvel at my six-pack?"

I rolled my eyes. "You mean the non-existent muscles you think you have? Nah, I think I'll pass."

"Actually, it's about last night..." He looked up, the realisation in his eyes sharp. "Oh. I see. Then maybe I'll get dressed and see you later?"

I nodded gratefully. "That'd be great. Uh...okay...bye..." Awkwardly turning around, I hurried out of the room, Percy's chuckle echoing after me.

"We're all guys here, Nico!"

Facepalm.

About 15 minutes later, I was nervously tapping my fingers against the shadowy table in the living room, when Percy sauntered in.

He didn't walk. He sauntered. Literally, you could see the aura of 'I-don't-give-an-f' around him.

He did always seem to have that kind of attitude, at least normally. When the world was in trouble or something, he went into this leader mode-ish thing that-

"Hello? Nico?" Oops.

"Hey." I nodded at him. He grinned and slid into his chair smoothly. "So. Sup? You wanted to talk about...?"

Swallowing, I cleared my throat. "Yeah... I just wanted to say thanks again...f-for y'know, saving me." It sounded ridiculous, honestly, but it was true. He smiled across the table, a strange expression in his eyes. It wasn't pity, if it had been I would've left the room. It was more like...pain. Sadness.

Percy sighed, and the moment was gone, the expression vanished. Reaching across the table, he took my hands in his, and I stiffened. "Percy, what are you-" He shook his head, effectively cutting me off. Tugging at my hands, I tried to draw away from him, but he held me fast.

"Never do that again, Nico. Being gay...it isn't wrong, and people don't have the right to judge us. I mean, if you're...atoning, doesn't that mean I should too?" I shook my head. Percy would never understand. He was a hero, a leader, a symbol for peace, freedom and harmony. He was adored and accepted by all, he had so many friends and- and I was just a reject, unwanted, and for good reason too. Hated by all, despised because I was...

Different.

A father who ruled the dead. Power over skeletons and shadows. Nobody trusted someone like me. I was a pawn, a tool.

And now this. This was the last straw. Homosexuality. Hated all around the world, despised everywhere. There was nowhere I could hide, unless...it was the Underworld.

I knew I was headed for the Fields, but if I could appeal to Hades...maybe I would be spared that. Not that I deserved leniency. I was a horrib-

"Nico..." I felt a tug on my hands, and looked up to see Percy's eyes. "You're doing it again. The self-loathing."

"When I first found out, I hated myself. I thought I was worthless, disgusting, awful. I...tried to..." Percy's tone was earnest as he flipped his arm over, revealing the pale inside of his forearm.

Across it lay a thick, knotted scar.