Chapter 30

Sticking to the trend, the plan went wrong almost at the start. I saw Leo and Alexa sneak off, heading towards the barrier, and Nico, hand on Jack's shoulder, blinking out of existence, leaving behind a wisp of shadow as they traveled towards the amphitheatre. Amy, Idris and I were off to the bunker, feet crunching against the sandy tunnel floor. But the moment we peeked up through the roots, I knew our plan was a bust. A crowd of shadowy figures, three-deep and armed, stood guarding the bunker. They were humanoid, two arms and legs and a head, but they had no edges or features, seeming to just blur into the background at their edges. Swallowing, I glanced back at Idris and Amy, whose eyes reflected the same terror. Sneaking them out was out of the question, but there was no other way, other than pure force, and considering the backup I had... Well, force wasn't exactly the best option, but it was the only one I had right now. Riptide hissed quietly as it slithered from its scabbard and glinted dully. Nodding in what I hoped was a reassuring manner to them, I waited a few seconds for them to ready themselves and reached out towards the river, allowing its pull to wash over me, gently but firmly drawing me out. Manipulating it, I twisted it somehow, and a wave of water rose from the river, suspended perfectly in the trees. If I could just find a distraction-

"Help! We need backup at the amphitheatre!" A vaguely familiar voice urged them, panicked tone obvious as a camper stepped into view, beckoning at the shadowy figures. To my great relief, at least a third detached and glided silently towards the centre of the camp, where blows of steel on steel and ghastly howls rang out. Still, the less enemies I had, the more Nico would gain, and I couldn't afford to wait a moment longer. A plan, desperate and half-formed, drifted into view, and I beckoned to Idris and Amy, whispering my idea to them. To my relief, they understood quickly, and Idris stood, accompanying me as we climbed out of the tunnel and into the trees. Pulling up the hood of my jacket, I gestured at Idris to leave, and followed close behind, allowing the cowl of the hood to throw a shadow across my face, effectively hiding it.

"Who are you?"

"Eris sent us. We're to move the prisoners away from this bunker to the secret one on the east side." Idris' voice didn't waver, assuming an arrogant tone as he crossed his arms and tapped his foot. I just hid my face and tried my best not to look like one of the most wanted people in the demigod world. For a moment, I thought the deception would fail, but then a camper stepped forward, one of the two guarding the cabin. Flipping her honey brown fringe out of her eyes, she adjusted the straps of her shield, trying not to look frightened. By my estimate, she was only thirteen, not nearly old enough to be involved in this. "Do you know what's happening back at camp? What's going on? Who are you?" The other camper leaned casually against the wall of the bunker, seeming to doze off. It was as if they'd been there the entire night.

This, at least, I knew how to do. "It's Percy Jackson and the others." I growled, trying to make my voice sound as low as possible. "They're headed this way to bust their friends out. We're here to take them away. Then a couple of you are supposed to get in there and be their welcoming wagon when they come looking. Orders from the top, we're straight from Eris. He's Adam, I'm James."

"Oh. Then I guess you should hurry." Stepping aside, the girl adjusted her bow and quiver, nervously worrying at her lip. Nodding curtly, I strode in, followed by Idris, who closed the door behind us. As we turned, I made eye contact with him, and the thrill of succeeding where we could have, should have failed ran a shiver up my spine.

However, the sight before us wiped the smile off my face and made me sick to my stomach. I turned away for a moment, listening to Idris cough and the demigods rouse. The pungent stench of dried blood and infection filled the air, thick and choking. At least half the demigods in the room were lying on beds, hands gripping the bloodstained sheets. Annabeth occupied one, her head a bloody mess through the bandages. Will Solace was in another, arm set sloppily in a sling and head bound, the imprint of a large bloody gash obvious through it. Frank lay in a third, muttering softly to himself. To my horror, his limbs were constantly shifting in spasms, unable to control themselves. One moment he was half-winged, his toes elongated and webbed, the next his teeth had grown past his lips and grazed his chin, opening a dozen small cuts before they changed again. Piper leaned on another next to Reyna, gagged and bound. The former praetor was glaring weakly at me, arms and chest a mess of bandages.