Chapter 2 - Brotherly Bonds

Clary opened her eyes wide as she stumbled into an apartment. She was in a simple room with dark walls and wooden floors. Taking in her surroundings, she noticed a bed, dresser and mirror along with two doors. Jace was still beside her holding her hand and he looked down at her with a smile.

"It's late, you should get some sleep. You can sleep here tonight. He made it clear that he needed me to help him tonight." The word he sent chills down Clary's spine. She knew exactly who he was. Sebastian. Her brother.

"Are you not staying with me?" She started as he began to walk out of the room.

"I wish I could Clary, I really wish I could. But I will see you in the morning, you need your rest." And with a smile Jace was gone, the door locking behind him. Clary sat on the bed with an exasperated sigh. So that door went to the rest of the apartment, where did the other go? She reached to open it and was not surprised to find a nice bathroom on the other side. Relief pulsed through her as she pulled off her clothes and jumped into the oversized shower. The water drenched her hair and body, the warm droplets relaxing her. She cleaned the blood off of her knees and washed her hair until she could not get any cleaner. Turning off the shower, she dried off and put her navy bra and underwear along her charcoal gray shirt back on. She walked back into the bedroom and folded her ripped jeans, setting them on the dresser. It had been a long day, not sure whether or not she made the right choice to come here. Knowing the likely result, she tried to open the other door unto the hallway finding it locked. There was nothing left to do other than sleep, walking over to the bed and plopping down. She ran her fingers along the golden faerie ring on her hand and willed her thoughts to Simon.

Simon? Can you hear me? I'm here. I made it here. She listened back for a while, only to hear silence until a voice rang through her head.

Clary! Are you alright? Where are you? Is Sebastian there? Did you find Jace? He sounded frantic, as if he couldn't get the words out fast enough.

Yes, I'm okay. I found Jace and I'm in some weird apartment. I haven't seen Sebastian but I know he is here.

Okay. Keep me updated on anything else you find out, okay? Clary nodded before realizing he couldn't see her nod. And please be safe.

Clary was going to respond when the door opened up. Her heart fluttered, thinking for a moment it might be Jace, only to see Sebastian walk in with a timid smile on his face.

"Hello, little sister." Clary looked at him with a look of disgust she didn't think possible. "I see you're not too happy to see me." He looked down at his feet and looked almost genuinely hurt.

"You tried kill my friends and Jace. You killed Max. How- How am I supposed to be happy to see you?" She tried to keep her voice steady and controlled but felt the rage in her building. Her brother took a deep breath and moved to sit on the bed next to her, staring down at his hands in his lap. Looking this vulnerable, he almost looked like the 18 year old boy who could be her brother.

"Clary. I know- I know what I did, but that wasn't me. After Lilith raised me, I- I'm different now. And I know you won't believe me, I don't expect you to yet, but give me time." He turned his head to look into her eyes, almost pleading. Clary slowly pulled the blanket to cover her bare legs, feeling exposed in just a long shirt, but didn't say anything. With a deep breath, he stood up and strode out of the room. "Please just give me chance to make it up to you."

And with that he was gone. Clary let out the breath she didn't even know she was holding and laid back onto the bed. This was going to be difficult she thought as she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.