Chapter 22 - Waiting Game

"Nope."

"Simon, please?"

"Absolutely not. No."

"Why not?" Clary pleaded with him outside the Lightwood's house in Idris.

"Remember last time I tried to say no to one of your plans and you made me do it anyways? Yeah you ended up possessed. So I say I have the right to say no this time." Simon was standing with his arms folded across his chest, not budging.

"I'm just asking you to help me keep something from my mom."

"I know, that might actually be worse." He was persistent, leading Clary to run her hands through her hair in frustration.

"Simon," She begged him again, "Don't make me tell Isabelle about the crayon incident in eighth grade."

He dropped his arms and widened his eyes in disbelief before narrowing them suspiciously, "You wouldn't dare..."

Now was her turn to cross her arms with an air of confidence, "Oh but I would." Their eyes were locked, battling to see who would come out on top. Finally he dropped his head back with a groan.

"Fineee, you win. If Jocelyn asks I'll tell her you are staying with Izzy at the Lightwoods." He turned to stalk back inside but Clary ran up and wrapped him in a hug from behind. It almost appeared to startle him; they hadn't been as affectionate with each other as they used to be, but they were still best friends.

"You're the best!" She could feel him chuckle as he turned around in her arms to embrace her in a proper hug.

"I know, I know. One of these days, Clary, you are gonna owe me." There was a lighthearted tone in his voice, however, that indicated he would never expect her to owe him. He was her best friend and he would do anything for her as she would do for him. They broke apart and he was about to turn back towards the house when he felt a pair of arms wrap around him and lift him up, pulling him backwards. A spark of fear shot through him until he saw the smile break across Clary's face and knew exactly who was carrying him.

"Yes, we are forever in your debt my dear mundane friend." Jace was carrying him over to the stairs before dropping him down, but not without affection.

"Who is, for what I feel like is the 30th time I've reminded you, not a mundane," Simon muttered, although Jace seemed to altogether ignore his comment. They were never close but as the months had passed, they had grown to be almost friends. Partially because they enjoyed each other's company but mostly because of how happy it made Clary. Jace smiled at him and turned back towards Clary, picking her up playfully as they made their way back into the street. The smile on Clary's face was so genuine and her laugh so joyful that Simon was grateful for Jace, however sarcastic he was, because he was the only one in the world who could bring her that much happiness.

Jace had set her down up the road next to a street light that was still flickering despite the fact there was awhile still until sunset. He leaned over with one arm on the light post behind her and gazed at her as if she were an angel herself, his gold eyes shining. Clary noticed that there was still a smile plastered stupidly across her face and tried to regain her composure with little success. He lightly brushed the back of his hand across her cheek before tracing her lips with his forefinger.

"Why are you trying to hide from me? I love it when you smile." His eyes were full of a dreamlike wonder that shot straight to her core, the warmth of desire blooming outward. A desire to touch him, kiss him, be with him. He bit his lip as he averted his gaze from her eyes to her lips, sending chills up her spine. She wanted so badly to wrap her arms around his neck and plant her lips on his harshly and she could see from the reflection in his eyes that he wanted the same. But they were in the streets of Idris, and there were people wandering about. She wrapped her hands behind her back to prevent herself from grabbing his shirt and pulling his mouth to hers. A smirk played across his lips and he straightened up, reaching behind her to unclasp her hands, "I think we should go before you try and ravage me here in the streets." She opened her mouth to protest, but couldn't think of anything to say because it was exactly where he mind was wandering. Instead she just stared at him open-mouthed until he broke out laughing and wrapped his hand in hers and led her down the street toward the outskirts of Alicante.

Herondale Manor was not too far out of the city, they could have portaled but it was still the afternoon and Clary didn't mind walking since it was such a beautiful day. Her and Jace talked about anything not revolving the events that had occurred within the last couple weeks and she was grateful. She needed a distraction from all that was facing them.

"I heard your birthday is in a few weeks," Clary smiled at him and he looked taken aback, as if surprised she would know since he had only found out recently, "A little birdy told me." She mocked.

"Well that little birdy needs to keep his mouth shut, Alec," The humor in his voice was evident and he couldn't help but smile at the thought of his parabatai. Clary had stopped in her tracks as she looked at the large manor house looming up above them. She had seen it before, but now with the sun setting, it was more beautiful than she remembered.

"Wow, it's-"

"Beautiful, glorious, fit for a king?" He joked, not breaking his eyes from the house ahead of them.

"Big." Clary finally finished. At that he did break away and look at her quizzically.

"Big?"

"Yeah, it's bigger than I remember." She cocked her head to the side, analyzing all the slopes and detail of the manor as if preparing to draw it. Jace wrapped her up in his arms and broke her from her concentration, planting a kiss on her cheek from behind.

"Alright crazy, let's go inside before it gets dark." He let go and offered her his arm like an escort, but she refused and jumped on his back instead. A smile broke out on his face, not one of his trademark smirks, but a full smile that lit up his entire face as he looped his arms around her legs and continued up the cobblestone pathway into the house.

He had a key to the manor from the box from his father that Amatis had given him when he found out his family heritage. The foyer was large and grand, all white marble and gold accents. The ceiling rose high and two staircases wound up to the second floor while you could see the kitchen through the archway between them. Clary wandered around in awe, touching everything gently as if it was art. In a way, it was to her. It was a part of Jace's past, his heritage that he did not know about until recently. She glanced sideways at Jace who was also looking enthralled with everything around him. They made their way upstairs and found a large library; cherry wood bookcases filled every wall. Books filled every space.

"Your ancestors must have loved reading," Clary said in a hushed tone, despite the fact no one else was in the room. She picked up a book that was open on one of the desks, covered in dust as if it had been there for years. A Tale of Two Cities, it said. She set it back down gingerly and followed Jace out to examine the rest of the rooms of the house- a large kitchen, formal dining room, entertainment room, study, fireplace room, and finally a music room. The floors were a dark hardwood but in the center stood a bright white grand piano. Jace's eyes lit up as he saw it and he made his way over. He sat on the bench and blew the dust off the ivory keys, settling his long and slender fingers over them. His eyes closed as he began effortlessly moving them along the keys. Despite the piano being old and slightly out of tune, the melodies of notes were beautiful. Clary walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around his neck in a gentle embrace, kissing his golden curls. Suddenly, the music stopped and he swiveled around on the bench so he was facing her, looking up into her eyes.

"I love you, Clary. I love you more than life itself. You have saved my life in more way than you could ever imagine." His hands gently wrapped around her hips and he leaned forward to plant kisses on her stomach. Her heart was so full of love that she couldn't bear it anymore, affection turning into desire. She moved to sit on his lap on the piano bench and he leaned back against the piano itself.

"And I love you. I will always love you, Jace."