Chapter 29 - Carry On

WOOO very long chapter! This is going to most likely be the final chapter! However, I will grace you with an epilogue. ♥

The light in the infirmary was bright and lit up the white sheets on the bed like snow. Clary's head was slowly getting better, a few iratzes took care of her broken ribs, but head injuries were tricky. Rolling to her side she looked across the room to see the familiar shape of gold and white lying in the bed next to her. He had no shirt, but a bandage wrapped around his chest and arm. He was breathing slowly and very obviously asleep. His face relaxed; sleep easing every sharp feature softly. Clary closed her eyes, remembering the previous night, the memories surfacing bringing an uneasy feeling in her stomach.

***

"Clary!" Alec screamed, breaking her out of her silence while staring at her now fallen brother. She turned to look at his blue eyes, "We need to go! The portal can't stay open much longer." Feeling ice cold all over, she nodded.

"Ave atque vale, brother." She said as she closed Johnathon's eyes and stood up. The realization of her surroundings sank in, and her heart began to pump blood back into her body, adrenaline overtaking the fear. "Jace!" Suddenly her feet were dragging her toward Jace's limp body by the column in a sprint. She skidded on her knees beside him and rolled him tenderly on his back. She drew an iratze, but it faded into his skin. His eyes were closed and he was pale as she had ever seen him. For the first time he did not seem to be glowing like the sun. "Alec! ALEC!" She called to his parabatai in a panic, but he was already beside her. "I don't understand, he should be fine!" Alec pulled out his own stele and recreated the rune himself to the same effect.

Alec looked concerned, he grabbed Jace's arm and examined it; the place where Sebastian has grabbed him was gouged with deep marks, the blood and skin turning purple and black. "Sebastian was a greater demon. An iratze can't fix this." Without any volition of her own, Clary felt tears stream down her face.

"No! NO! We can fix this!" Clary cried. Alec grabbed her shoulders and turned her to face him, looking directly in his eyes.

"We will. But not here. We need to go!" With a nod, Clary stood up, her entire body shaking. Alec bent down and picked Jace up, his body as limp as a doll. Suddenly Izzy grabbed Clary's hand and when she looked at her, her own eyes were welling up with tears. With a final squeeze they all began making their way when they heard the screech of a demon.

"Let me carry him. We need you to help defend. Besides, he's saved my life more times than I care to admit, I owe him this." Simon said, breaking his silence. Reluctant, Alec agreed and placed Jace in Simon's arms as he whipped out his bow.

And then they ran.

***

The memories ceased, leaving Clary breathless. She repeated words to calm herself, knowing they were all alright now. Jace is alive. Jace is alive. Jace is alive.

"Yes, I am. But I am not asleep anymore thanks to you." He smirked as he lay on his side, eyes still closed. She hadn't realized she said the words aloud. She took the pillow she was leaning on and threw it gently at him, still afraid to hurt him. He grunted and opened his eyes, "Wow, hurting me when I'm down. Low blow, Fray." She glared at him through her lashes. "What? Don't like being called that? How about something else then," He sat up slowly, wincing slightly until he was upright and looking her directly in the eyes, "Herondale maybe?"

The playful grin dropped from her face as she registered his words, her eyes wide. "What?" Her voice came out as a whisper.

Jace leaned forward, elbows on his knees as he took Clary's hands in his own. "Marry me. I love you and I have always loved you. The thought of losing you is the biggest fear of my life. I know what I want in my life, and it's you. I don't want another second where your heart is not mine forever. Because mine has been yours from the second I knew you. Marry me, Clary."