Chapter 16 - Fire and Flame

Sebastian was dragging Clary behind him now as he made his way away from the fight ensuing around the tomb. The Endarkened were fast, faster than even shadowhunters, and ruthless. It became quite clear even as Clary was being drawn away from the battle who was winning, and it wasn't the Clave. A lump grew in her throat; she knew there was no way the Clave would be here and not Alec, Isabelle and Simon.

Simon? She willed her thoughts to Simon while Sebastian wasn't paying much attention to her. Simon, please tell me you're not here.

Clary? Where is he taking you and of course I'm here! We're all here to save you and Jace. He responded after a few moments.

But Simon... we don't need to be saved. The words hit Simon like a truck. He didn't respond. Clary continued trying to reach him but he didn't answer. In frustration she grabbed the ring to pull off her finger when Sebastian whirled on her and grabbed her wrist.

"Clary, you are with me right?" His voice was almost frantic, which she had never heard from him. They had made their way over behind a sloping boulder about 100 feet away from the battle.

"Of course I am. You know that." She tilted her head in confusion, it wasn't like him to be worried. And then his concerned look faded into one of sinister enjoyment. He placed his hand on the back of her neck and brushed her hair over her shoulder.

"I want you to watch the battle." They both scrambled on top of the flat part of the boulder and watched from afar. There were bodies lying all across the grass. Most of them dressed in black. The Endarkened were dispatching them with ease, especially with the upper hand of wearing the faces of the Nephilim's friends and families. "Do you see," He continued, "We are going to win this war. It is our destiny. I will rule this world and you will be my Queen. We will be the young gods of the new world; you, me and Jace-" Sebastian buckled over with a shout, clutching his side.

"Jace," Clary's eyes widened in horror and she jumped off the rock, sprinting towards the battle. Sebastian ran close behind her, holding his side tightly.

She stopped as she reached the crowd of fighting, pulling out a seraph blade of her own.  There was the roar of battle all around her, but she tuned it out as she searched the crowd for Jace. Instead she saw another familiar face- Alec and Simon.

"Clary?" Alec was the one to speak as he lowered his bow. Sebastian had reached her and stopped, placing one hand on her lower back possessively.

"Well hello there Daylighter and Lightwood. I would say I didn't expect to see you here, but that would be a lie," Sebastian was grinning at the two of them, their hands grasped tightly on their weapons, "You think I can't predict what you're going to do? I know you have been talking to Clary through that ring there. She tells me everything. You may think you have come here to save her and your parabatai," He nodded towards Alec, "But I'm afraid your efforts will be in vain. For you cannot save someone who does not want to be saved. And Clarissa is mine. As is Jace, we are bonded more than you and he ever were."

"She's lying to you, she would never stand by you. You're a monster!" Simon yelled as he pulled a sword out of his weapons belt.

"That is where you are wrong. She stands by me because blood calls to blood, and the blood of the Morning Star sings through both our veins. It is something beyond your control. And don't think for a moment I am foolish enough to fight you with that cursed mark on your-" His eyes lit up with a pure frightening joy, "Ah but it is not there anymore? What have you done to piss off the Heavens enough to remove it from your skin? No matter, it just makes this fight that much more unfair." He pulled Phaesphoros from its sheath and held it threateningly. Clary whirled on him, putting her hand over his.