Nine

As Elizabeth and Steve made their way to the elevator so they could go to their room and change before leaving, Elizabeth got a bad feeling in her stomach. 

"Operations control." Steve told the elevator where to take them. 

"Confirmed." the computer responded before the elevator started moving.

"Steve, why are we going to operations? We should really go home." Elizabeth urged her fiancé. 

"Beth, we'll go home as soon as I'm done. Why do you want to go home so badly?" Steve inquired, raising an eyebrow. 

"I just feel like something's going to go wrong." she murmured to him as the elevator stopped and the doors opened. Rumlow and two other S.T.R.I.K.E. agents walked into the elevator. 

"All S.T.R.I.K.E. personal on site." Rumlow instructed the two agents. 

"Understood." the first one nodded. 

"Yes, sir." the second agreed. 

"Forensics." Rumlow demanded of the computer. 

"Confirmed."

"Cap. Simmons." Rumlow nodded his head towards the pair. 

"Rumlow." Elizabeth responded, returning the head nod. 

"Evidence response found some fibers on the roof they want us to see. You want me to get the tac-team ready?" Rumlow asked, peering around the two S.T.R.I.K.E. agents. 

"No, let's wait and see what it is first." Steve politely responded.

"Right." Rumlow nodded and turned around again. Elizabeth studied the two S.T.R.I.K.E. agents. She got a bad vibe off of them and her suspicions were only worsened when one of the agents kept his hand on his weapon. 

Elizabeth lightly nudged Steve and nodded towards the agent. Steve raised his eyebrow and suddenly started to pick up on the bad vibes Elizabeth was getting. The elevator stopped for a second time, letting on more S.T.R.I.K.E. agents. 

"What's the status so far?" one of them asked his comrade. 

"Administrations level." another one demanded, adding onto the list of places the elevator had to stop at. 

"Confirmed."

"Excuse me." one spoke to Steve and Elizabeth. They moved out of the way, opting to stand in the middle of the elevator. The engaged couple shared a nod. They knew what was about to happen and they wanted to be prepared for it. 

They would work together like they always did, and if getting out alive meant they had to kick every S.T.R.I.K.E. agent in that elevators asses, then they would. Just then, Rumlow turned back to the pair. 

"Um...sorry about what happened with Fury. Messed up what happened to him." he forced his apology. 

"Thank you." Elizabeth responded, giving Rumlow a fake smile. The vibe Elizabeth and Steve were getting from everyone in the elevator was slowly getting worse. 

Steve looked around and noticed one of the agents was sweating. He knew that couldn't be a good sign so he subconsciously pulled Elizabeth closer to his side. When the elevator stopped for a third time, Elizabeth looked up at Steve, ignoring the agents coming into the elevator. 

The worried, nervous look in her eyes caused Steve to feel panic start to flutter in his own chest. Elizabeth was never nervous, and if she was now, that spelled trouble for the pair. 

"Records." a third agent demanded. 

"Confirmed." the computer once again replied. As the elevator doors slid shut, Elizabeth looked around. They were completely surrounded by agents, and she didn't know if they would be able to get out of this one without a few bumps and bruises.