Eighteen

"Get up. Get in the truck." Rumlow whispered harshly in Steve's ear before he proceeded to yank upwards on Steve's arm. Steve numbly got up and followed him to the truck. He was only pulled out of his thoughts when Natasha roughly kicked his shin.

"Ow! What was that for?" he yelped before he glared at her. Natasha didn't say anything. She only nodded her head towards a group of STRIKE agents huddled around something, while Sam was being dragged away.

"She needs help! She needs medical attention!" Sam screamed as he was forcefully shoved into the back of the truck across from Natasha.

"Who needs medical attention?" Steve asked, not putting two and two together. He still hadn't quite regained his bearings yet after discovering that HYDRA had kidnapped his best friend and brainwashed him for seventy years. Sam didn't get a chance to answer before the trio watched Rumlow pick an unconscious Elizabeth up off the street.

Steve's heart plummeted as he watched her head dangle limply from Rumlow's arms as her own arms were splayed carelessly out to the side. Elizabeth could not be dead. For the sake of Steve's sanity, she could not be dead. When Rumlow got to the truck, he roughly tossed her onto the floor of the truck, which startled her awake. Her eyes flew open as she shot up into a sitting position, wincing as she did so.

Before the trio could speak, one of the guards in the truck stood up and quickly placed handcuffs around Elizabeth's wrists. He then lifted her up and sat her down next to Sam, across from Steve. Now, Steve could see the rapidly bleeding hole in his fiancée's shoulder.

"You have got to be kidding me." Steve sighed, his shoulders sagging in defeat as his head rolled backwards in exhaustion. Today had taken so much out of him, he didn't have any energy left to argue with their captors. But, Sam did.

"We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on that wound, she's gonna bleed out here in the truck."

Elizabeth's complexion had turned a deathly pale color while sweat slowly slipped down her face from the energy her body was using to try and keep her alive. But Sam was right. She would bleed out in minutes if they didn't put pressure on her wound.

Elizabeth wanted to say something, but thought better of it. She needed to save what little energy she had left. Instead, she switched between leaning her head back while looking at the ceiling and looking at Steve. While she rested her head against the back of her seat, Elizabeth thought back on the events of the day.

A mix of emotions swept through Elizabeth at the same time. Confusion, guilt, pain, sadness. She couldn't decide which hurt more. She eventually decided that feeling guilty was the worst. If she had known that Bucky had survived the fall, she would have taken Steve and the two of them would have gone after him. They could have easily found him and rescued him again. 

If they had, then maybe they wouldn't have gone down in the plane. The three of them would be ninety years old, sitting together with Peggy, remembering their lives. They wouldn't have to learn about how different the world was, they would have had a hand in shaping the world. Everything could be so much different, if only they had known.

For Elizabeth, this was the worst feeling. Knowing she could have done something if only they had gone back and looked for him. She was brought out of her thoughts by one of the guards in the back of the truck pulling out their electric rod and stabbing their partner with it. The four of them exchanged worried looks before the guard took off their helmet, revealing that it was Maria Hill.

"That thing was squeezing my brain." she sighed as she rested her helmet in her lap. She glanced around the group, taking in everyone's condition before her eyes settled on Sam.

"Who's this guy?" Maria asked, looking at Steve.

"That's Sam. You can trust him." Steve replied after a few seconds. Maria looked at Sam quizzically before she nodded her head and turned her electric rod back on. She then proceeded to kneel on the floor before she jammed the rod into the floor.

"What are you doing?" Natasha asked with an arched eyebrow. 

"Trying to cut a hole so we can get out of the truck and save your lives." Maria replied without looking up from the floor. She had slowly started to move the rod in a circular motion, cutting through the metal floor of the truck. When she completed her circle, she stole a quick glance at the window behind her before she raised her foot and stomped on the metal.

The metal clattered to the ground below, leaving a jagged ring in the floor of the truck. The truck continued to move, leaving the piece of flooring behind.

"Alright, there's a stop coming up soon. That's when we get Elizabeth out of the truck. The rest of you, minus myself, will get out beforehand." Maria quickly explained to the group. 

"What? Why can't I stay with Elizabeth?" Steve argued, a stern look molding his facial features. 

"You aren't in your right mind as of now. It would be easier if I stayed and helped her out. Now move!" Maria demanded. They could feel the truck begin to slow down as it approached the stop Maria had told them of.

One by one, Steve, Sam, and Natasha all carefully rolled out of the truck. When it came to a full stop, Maria hurriedly set a barely conscious Elizabeth on the road. Elizabeth had enough sense about her to duck as the truck continued moving. Steve was quick to run to her side and help her into a standing position.

They turned and watched Maria roll out of the truck before it disappeared around the corner. However, as Maria approached them, another sleek black car rounded the corner and headed towards the group.

"Maria..." Natasha warned as she reached into her shirt to pull out a small hand gun. It was the one place the guards hadn't thought to look. 

"Relax, it's just our ride." Maria spoke with a soft laugh. Natasha shared a quizzical look with Sam and Steve before she slowly relaxed and stuck the gun in her pocket.

"C'mon, let's get her somewhere safe." Maria nodded towards Elizabeth, who had fully lost consciousness. Steve frowned worriedly before he bent down and wrapped an arm around her knees. He then straightened back up, with Elizabeth secured in his arms, before he followed the rest of the group towards the vehicle that would take them to the safe place Maria had been talking about.

-

I should really be studying for my finals(the reason I haven't updated recently) but instead I decided to write so here ya go :)