Twenty Four

"Elizabeth, you need to learn to be more careful. I swear I'm always saving your ass." Tony groaned as he pushed Elizabeth's wheel chair up the ramp leading to his private jet. Steve and Elizabeth had told Natasha of their plight to bring down HYDRA, once and for all. So, once they said goodbye to Fury, who was well on his way to recovering, Natasha insisted they call upon the other Avengers for help.

"I'm not letting you two take on the entirety of HYDRA alone. We'll help you, at least I will. And I'm sure Clint will too, so why not just ask for help from the rest of the group?" Natasha had said to them when they first brought it up to her. As soon as they were released from the hospital, they called Tony and asked if they could stay at the tower for the time being. 

They weren't safe by themselves in Washington D.C. anymore. They would be much safer at the tower with Tony and his state of the art security system. Elizabeth was still recovering from her injuries, although her doctor had said her leg was almost healed. Steve, on the other hand, was perfectly fine now. He was already seated on the plane with Sam and Natasha. 

Sam was only coming with them for about a week or two so the three of them could work on their side project. After that, Steve was going to send him in search of their long-lost companion. 

"Tony, I can sit in the chair by myself." Elizabeth protested when he offered to help her into the seat next to Steve.

"Alright, alright. Don't come crying to me when you fall on your ass." Tony raised his hands in defense before he turned around and walked to the cockpit. Roughly ten minutes later, the plane was in the air.

"Promise me that you'll actually ask the other Avengers for help. I don't want you two to get in over your heads and end up getting hurt, or worse. Phil would come back and kill you two himself before any HYDRA agent could." Natasha laughed. Steve and Elizabeth smiled and rolled their eyes, while Sam just looked at the red-head with a confused expression on his face.

"Phil was the one who started the Avengers Initiative back in 2012. He was a huge fan of these two dinosaurs." she explained to Sam.

"Okay, Nat, we get it. We're old. No need to make a joke about it every hour of the day." Steve retorted with an eye roll.

"With your old age, who knows what kind of mental state you're in. I have to repeat myself "every hour of the day" so you don't forget it." Natasha continued to tease, using air quotes around what Steve had said. From the cockpit, the four of them could hear Tony burst into laughter.

"Great, now he's never going to forget that." Elizabeth groaned, face-palming.  

"Thanks Nat." Steve added, and boy if looks could kill, Natasha would be six feet under by now. Sam looked between the two, his eyes wide in fright.

"Don't worry, Sam, they do this all the time. They never actually end up hurting each other." Elizabeth reassured her friend.

"Yeah, right." he muttered, still not taking his eyes off the the blonde and the red-head. They all made small talk until the plane landed at the airport  closest to Avengers Tower. Tony hurriedly ushered them all off the plane, saying he had a group of people he wanted them to meet.

"Tony, before that, can we talk, just the Avengers?" Elizabeth asked as they drove to the tower.

"If it's about bringing down HYDRA, we already figured that's what you two would want. To help, we brought in a group of people that we know are trustworthy and that we know want help us." Tony assured them as he pulled into the parking garage. Steve and Elizabeth shared looks of relief as Tony turned the engine off. 

Natasha and Sam got out of the car first before they moved to the trunk to get Elizabeth's wheelchair for her.

"Thanks guys. Just another week before I get to take this stupid cast off." Elizabeth groaned as she began pushing herself to the elevator.

"It's not stupid if it's helping you get better." Steve lightly chided as he walked next to her. Automatically, Elizabeth rolled her eyes and waited in the elevator for the others to catch up. Eventually, they all made it up to the meeting floor where the rest of the Avengers waited for them.

"I'm glad you two are alright. We came as soon as Tony called." Bruce spoke and smiled softly as Steve wheeled Elizabeth into the room. 

"What is this HYDRA everyone is speaking of?" Thor asked, genuinely confused.

"Our next enemy, Thor. Elizabeth and I fought them in the forties and now they're a problem again." Steve explained. Before anyone could say anything else, the elevator dinged, announcing an arrival.

"Who were you expecting Tony?" Natasha asked, confused. 

"They're going to help us track down HYDRA." Tony smiled as he walked over to greet the new arrivals. The doors opened, revealing a group of five people.

"Avengers, meet the Agents of SHIELD." Tony announced. The group of agents slowly shuffled out of the elevator, all of them except two staring at the Avengers in awe.

"We already know all of you, but you probably don't know us. I'm Melinda May, the one with the scowl on his face is Agent Grant Ward. The two with the gadgets are Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons. The other girl is Skye." the presumed leader announced the group.

"It's wonderful to meet you all." Elizabeth smiled graciously. As she looked around the group, Elizabeth spotted Jemma looking solely at her. As the Avengers and SHIELD agents began to mingle and talk, Elizabeth wheeled herself over to Jemma.

"Hi, Jemma, right?" Elizabeth asked as she approached the girl and the boy who never left her side.

"Yes, that's me." she smiled, her British accent apparent.

"And you're Leo, right?" Elizabeth asked for clarification.

"Yes, but most call me Fitz." he replied, shaking her hand.

"And most call me Simmons." Elizabeth stared at the girl for a moment, pondering the similarity of their last names.

"Simmons, do you, by chance, know the name of your grandfather?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Oh, of course. He was an American soldier stationed in England during World War 2. He met my grandmother and was briefly engaged to her before he died in combat. Although, he didn't know that she was pregnant with my father." Simmons rambled on. Elizabeth chuckled at her enthusiasm before she repeated herself.

"But do you remember his name?" she persisted.

"Oh, of course. His name was Robert Simmons." Elizabeth's eyes went wide. That was her father's name. Quickly, Elizabeth reached for her wallet, where she had always kept a picture of her and her father that was taken just before he left for the war.

"Do you know if this is him?" she quietly asked the girl, who wasn't much younger than her. 

"Yeah, that's him. Why do you have a picture of him?" Jemma inquired, both her and Fitz displaying the same look of confusion.

"The man that I just showed you is my father. I believe I'm your aunt."

-

Okay, wow, it's been a long time since I've updated this book! I'm so sorry about that, but I've been super busy and I haven't had all that much inspiration for this book recently, but I've received some inspiring comments on the first book in this trilogy that sparked ideas, so voila! I hope it sort of makes up for the long absence. Anyways, I'm not sure when I'll be updating again, but hopefully it's soon! Thanks to all those who've stuck around this long!