Ten

"Do you think you can manage on your own?" Steve hurriedly asked Elizabeth as they stopped running. They had reached their destination, headquarter's garage, and Steve wanted to make sure Elizabeth would be able to drive herself out of their situation. Things would be a lot easier for both Elizabeth and Steve if she could.

"Yeah, I can manage." she struggled to say without letting Steve know how much pain she was in. Both burns on her back and stomach were really starting to become extremely painful, but she wouldn't tell Steve. At least, not until they both made it safely out of headquarters. 

"Alright. Just stay behind me and you'll be alright." Steve instructed as he revved his motorcycle's engine to life. Elizabeth did the same next to him and together they sped towards the exit.

"Shit, shit, shit." Elizabeth mumbled under her breath as they approached the doors that led to the roadway out. She pressed down harder on the gas pedal, willing the bike to move faster. As they rapidly approached the closing door, they flew up a ramp and barely made it out. 

The concrete doors slammed shut just after the pair made it out. Just as Elizabeth let out a sigh of relief, a quinjet flew in front of them. 

"You've gotta be kidding me!" Elizabeth groaned, yet she still sped towards the jet a few feet behind Steve. The jet spun around to face the oncoming runaways and lowered a machine gun. 

"Stand down, Captain Rogers, Agent Simmons. Stand down." the pilot warned the pair. 

"Be careful." Steve warned Elizabeth before he drove over to the other side of the road so the pilot had to decide which runaway he wanted to shoot at.

Of course, he chose Elizabeth since she didn't have a vibranium shield to protect herself. But, Steve had taught her a few things since that day in 1944 when she was afraid to get on the motorcycle. Across the road, Steve couldn't help. He had to watch Elizabeth dodge the oncoming bullets, hoping and praying that none of them hit her. He glanced at the jet, an idea forming in his mind.

He pressed down harder on the gas pedal and as he got closer to the jet, he reached around and pulled his shield off his back. Steve threw it at the jet and watched with joy as the shield lodged itself exactly where Steve had hoped it would land: in one of the jet's propellers. 

The jet's right wing dipped down dangerously close to the ground, giving Steve the chance to jump off his bike. He did a handstand forward roll as he landed on the jet. When he stopped moving, he ran over to his shield and pulled it out of the propeller. 

As he pulled it out, the pilot didn't know what to do so he jerked the jet in the opposite direction, sending Steve flying. Elizabeth, still on the motorcycle, had caught up to the jet. 

"Steve!" she called out as she helplessly watched him fly through the air. As he spun through the air, Steve stuck out his shield and caught it on the jet's opposite wing, stopping his previous motion. Elizabeth let out a sigh of relief and slowed down the bike, yet she still drove away from the jet.

Steve pulled himself back up onto the jet, somersaulting through the air and landing on the middle of the jet's roof. He threw his shield at the engines on the back of the jet. The shield, however, didn't boomerang back to Steve so he followed it off the edge of the jet just as it crashed to the ground. Elizabeth had stopped her bike far enough away from the action to where the flying debris from the grounded jet wouldn't hit her.

She watched as Steve caught his shield and somersaulted through the air, once again. He landed on the ground in a crouched position, having slammed his shield into the concrete next to him. He quickly stood up and looked around. When he spotted Elizabeth still perched on her bike waiting at the exit, he smiled wide and ran over to her.