Quinlan's Oath

Keill's knees buckled. Callan screamed and rushed to her grandfather's side, helping Eoin to hold him up. The images vanished, returning them once more to the eerily silent throne room. No blood appeared on the king's clothes. No sword remained stuck in his body, but his breaths were shallow and short.

Eoin caught her gaze and held it, his green eyes briefly reminding her of Gawain. A little pang shot through Callan. Gawain had befriended her after he and Darrion had rescued her. He was there for her when she needed him. He had wanted her to stay in Nordaine. Now, she wished she had.

"Let's sit him down on the step," Eoin said, already moving to take the king there. Quinlan took her place at King Keill's side and helped him to sit.

Callan followed, concern for him clenching her heart. She reached out and smoothed his hair.

Eoin gave her a strange look. "He'll be fine. It takes him a few moments to recover."

She folded her hands in front of her, staring at them. "Is what we saw a certainty?"

"Yes," Quinlan stated, earning a dark glare from Eoin.

"No," Eoin said. "If you married Aurek's heir, he wouldn't move against us unless you wished it. In fact, he offered to sign a treaty with us on your wedding day. But if you don't marry Faolan, Aurek will destroy Alfen Cairn completely."

A nervous laugh escaped Callan. "Do you think he'll stay true to the treaty if he doesn't want to? Because I'm pretty sure nothing I do can control Aurek for long."

She'd know.

"You needn't do anything, Callan," King Keill said, his voice sounding brittle. "He loved your mother. It's the only thing he held sacrosanct. He won't do anything to hurt Zaira's daughter...for as long as she's under his control."

His words jolted Callan. Was that what the entity was about? Keeping her in line in his physical absence? It made sense. She always knew the entity controlled her life, but she'd assumed it was some sort of sadistic thing. Not a person with ulterior motives.

"You're saying that as long as I play nice, Aurek will too." Shudders shot through her. Could she even trust the elves' word on this? She glanced between her grandfather and Eoin.

Her grandfather's expression softened. "Callan. We're not deserting you to your fate. You'll have your own elvish court for the rest of your days. They'll report everything to us and we'll do everything in our power to ensure your happiness."

Happiness under Aurek's thumb. Such an unlikely thought. "What could you do?" she asked, frowning. "The scales are tipped completely in his favor. You have nothing to bargain with."

"We'd have you."

"Me." Callan laughed, nearly choking on it.

Her grandfather's gaze lowered and his shoulder's sagged. "You need to trust me. I'm an old hand at this, Callan. If I feel you're no longer safe, we'll make sure to free you. War or no war. But as a princess of the realm, your first duty is to protect your people, and this is the only way to do it."

The crushing weight of Callan's responsibilities came crashing down on her shoulders. She took a few steps back from the elves, needing space. Needing to think.

How was this fair? She'd only just arrived and they were sending her away. To Aurek of all people. The source of the one thing that had destroyed her life many times over. But then, they didn't know it and she wasn't telling. Not after what she'd seen. They might think she was part of it. She wouldn't be. Not ever.