Fraak

They rode into a beautiful white city and thousands of voices roared in greeting. The sun reflected off the city's walls, filling it with bright light.

This was Callan's new home? Unbelievable. Flowers grew in the window-boxes of friendly looking houses lining the street. The sidewalks consisted of the same white stone as the walls. Everything was so clean and decorative. How could this be the home of the most evil being she'd ever encountered?

Her mouth fell open at the crowds with their incredible clothes. Women were dressed in huge confections of pinks and whites and light blues. Pastel colors were obviously the rage.

Callan glanced down at her black outfit and sighed. Nothing like anything she saw. Although it had to be said that some of those outfits were a little...freakishly proportioned. The women's waists were drawn in so tight she couldn't imagine how they breathed. And the hair! Some up-dos were huge.

Her name buzzed in the air. People called for her again and again. She swallowed her nerves and lifted her hand. The resulting roar drowned her worries. She smiled and waved some more. People threw thousands of bouquets at the carriage. A little girl ran alongside it, holding up a few bright yellow flowers. Callan took them with a watery smile in thanks.

A red-clad soldier stopped the girl from following farther and Callan lost sight of her. The outpouring of love was so great, she wanted to forget the nightmare this really was. Beloved by the people, tortured by their king. Because the tortures would continue when Aurek had her under his physical control. Maybe not in the same way as before, but it would still happen somehow. She didn't dare hope for anything else.

One day she would become queen to these people. They'd become more her nation than the one she was trying to protect. Was this even worth it? Protecting a country she didn't even know?

Of course it was. How could she doubt that? Thousands of people would die without her help, consumed by Aurek in his blood lust. But to sacrifice herself....

She glanced back into the carriage, needing some reassurance. Anything to calm her. The Saints seemed lost in their own thoughts and worries. This wasn't a burden she could share with them. They'd want to save her. And she couldn't let herself be saved.

The crowd shouted Callan's name again and drew her attention back outside. She pasted a smile on her face and resumed waving. No point to letting them see her fear either.

Her hands and face ached by the time they rolled into massive green gardens. Ancient oaks and thick green foliage grew next to lush green yards. Many fountains danced in the dappled sunlight. People still milled about, but not thronging as much as in the city. They strolled along the meandering paths or rode horses, even hunted with falcons. The women wore wide skirts and pointed headdresses, like damsels in distress from tales of old. Of course they'd have to be rescued if they wore such impractical clothes. How did they sit? How did they breathe?

Everyone stopped to wave at the carriage. Callan waved back.

When the castle came into view for the first time, Callan's heart ached. It was a fairytale with white walls and spires topped with flags. So beautiful.

How could such beauty harbor such evil? It just didn't make sense.

The carriage rolled to a stop in front of the castle. A huge number of steps led to its entrance and a multitude of people stood on them, welcoming her with wide smiles. The women wore the impossible dresses she'd seen earlier and the men glittered in gold and jewels. They wore wide sleeves with way too many slashes.

At the very top, wearing a welcoming smile, stood King Aurek. Callan's stomach dove. His dark-eyed gaze seemed to rove over the carriage, as if he was curious about the girl he'd gone through so much trouble for.