Fraak's Invitation

Darrion paced the length of the room the elves had assigned the Nordians. Gawain and Kaela sat on their bedrolls, watching him. They'd made it into the castle. Now they needed a plan.

Quin entered and threw out a bedroll for himself next to Gawain. "Callan will be by shortly. Elves are being their lovely selves again."

Kaela grimaced. "Poor girl. Are they changing her out of her traveling clothes?"

"Not yet. They're teaching her elven court protocol."

Gawain scowled. "I hope it doesn't take."

Darrion could see why. He wouldn't wish elvish cultural education on his worst enemy. It barely stopped this side of torture or brain washing. Given that Gawain had fallen for Callan in record time, the idea of having her personality altered to suit elvish norms wouldn't sit well with him. Hell, it made Darrion uncomfortable and he wasn't supposed to give a damn.

He stuck his hand into his pocket and pulled out the pebble he'd worn smooth over years of use. "How much longer until they're done?"

"I'm hoping it'll be fast, since she's supposed to get her beauty sleep," Quin answered.

Great. That could mean hours. Darrion flicked the pebble into the air and caught it, then repeated the motion. "I'll wait a bit." He threw it again.

"By the way," Quin said in a casual tone that had a way of spelling doom, "did you see Fraak's here?"

The stone slipped from Darrion's fingers. "The hell she is."

"Yup." Quin grinned. "She even asked that you go see her."

Gawain sat forward, a small smile warming his face. "She might know how to find the Knight."

Darrion shook his head. "No, Gawain." Fending off the advances of one of the world's last mages didn't appeal to him.

Westenmere's eyebrows rose. "She did ask Lorcan about Darrion that night. Before they went into the keep."

Kaela burst out laughing and the other two joined in. Warmth stole up Darrion's neck. He hid his reaction by searching for his stone.

Gawain sobered first. "She's Ground's Daughter. Our only ally in this hellhole."

Darrion very much preferred to be at the other end of Tardith from her. "If she's our ally, then why don't you ask her?"

"You know why."

Yes, Darrion knew. She'd just use the information as leverage to see him. It would save them a lot of precious time if he went. Every fiber of his being rebelled at the idea.

But no matter what, he owed the Knight his life. He'd do everything in his power to save Lorcan Blaecoine. Even if it meant toying with one of the most powerful women in the universe.

"Fine. I'll talk to her."

Everyone smiled, but hid it pretty damn fast when he stood back up, stone in hand. They could at least be a bit more subtle. Things had better go smoothly for the rest of the day. Otherwise someone would die.

Slowly.

A soft knock tapped against the door and Callan stole into the room, pale. "Sorry I'm late."

Gawain and Quin rushed to her side.

"It's fine, mo chrie," Gawain murmured, guiding her to sit on Darrion's bed. "You must be exhausted."

She released a brittle laugh, pressing her forehead to his arm. "Only a little."

Gawain's expression darkened. He sat down next to her, slipping a supporting arm around her waist. Quin scowled and returned to his bedroll.

Idiots.

Darrion shook his head. "Right. Now that we're all here. I'll go talk to Fraak and find out what she knows. Gawain, you and Kaela go check in with our spies. Find out what you can, but be discreet. Quin. You go with Callan. You two need to find out what you can from around court. Someone must know something about the capture."

"Okay," Callan said. "I'll keep my ears open for any information we can use."

Gawain frowned at him, but kept his mouth clamped shut.

"Good," Darrion said. "Absolutely anything you think might be of interest. Okay Callan, I think you need all the rest you can get. Go get some sleep."

She nodded. "But before I go, someone should take all of the keys. The elves will want to change me for bed and I don't think you want them to see..."

"You're right, Kaela."

Without another word, Kaela hooked her arm through Callan's and guided her from the room. Quin stood, trampling about like an untamed horse.

Darrion sighed. "Fine. Go."

Quin pressed his hand to his shoulder and bowed, then hurried out to make sure Callan didn't stub her toe or anything like that.

"You're pushing Callan into danger." Gawain had managed to wait until the exact moment the door closed.

"I know," Darrion said, running his thumb over the stone's surface. "We don't have a choice."

"Don't we? Because shoving her right under Aurek's nose and then telling her to go against his interests isn't a bit too far?"

"Look." He strove to remain calm. "I know you have a soft spot for Callan, but Nordaine's at stake, and only she can safely operate at court without arousing suspicion. If getting Lorcan out safely with all of you unharmed is going too far, please tell me."

Gawain narrowed his eyes. "Bet your ass I'll tell you. I just hope, for both our sakes, that no harm comes to her because she trusted you." He walked out without giving Darrion a chance to respond.

Darrion took a deep breath, squeezing his fist around the stone. After a moment, he headed out to find Fraak. No point in delaying the inevitable.

Definitely some tension here... Thoughts? Do let me know in the comments. Also, please don't forget to vote if you're enjoying the story. ^_^