The Key Switch

Callan heaved a relieved sigh and pulled back the curtain to watch the scenery. Crimson-clad soldiers obscured her view. Ugh. Reds everywhere. Definitely not what she wanted to see. She dropped the curtain closed with a nervous sigh, throwing the cabin into shadows.

"What are they protecting us from?" she asked, really wanting to believe that was why they were here. "We're still in Alfen Cairn, right?"

"Yes, we are, but they're here to deter rebels," Quin replied.

Callan rubbed the inside of her left arm, finding calm in the repetitive motion. "We have a rebellion?"

"No, but Icaimerith has a long-standing civil war."

"For how long?"

"Oh, about four hundred years. You don't have to worry though. It's become a skirmish for borders very far from Caranth."

"But not very far from here," Gawain whispered. "So Aurek sent guards."

"Won't it make us more visible?" Callan asked.

"Yes, but it's better than being outnumbered. Anyway, I doubt the Ladrians know about your existence, let alone your travel plans. The elves excel at keeping secrets, and Ladrien needs help to find its own ass."

Darrion snorted and settled deeper into his seat. "And they're so proud of the few times they succeeded."

"Speaking of secrets," Quin put in, switching to Nordian, "Keill knows who I am."

The other three Saints stared at him.

"That poses a problem." Darrion clenched his jaw. It was a tiny reaction, but the tension shot up instantly.

"He also knew about the Knight."

Darrion's frown had unease closing a vise over Callan's heart.

"And you forgot to mention this?" he asked.

"No, but the damned elves always listen. They'd know we're hiding something important if we didn't speak English."

"Why is this bad?" Callan asked.

Gawain rubbed at his forehead. "We have to go hunting."

"For what?"

His meaningful gaze swept to her. "Spies."

He tapped his forefinger to his mouth. The action seemed as normal as a tic, but his eyes told her another story. She checked behind her. Sure enough, a shadow fell on the curtain by her window. The soldier probably couldn't understand what they'd said, but she wasn't supposed to understand either. And what if he started counting voices?

A thought struck Callan in the ensuing silence. Aurek was behind her failed kidnapping. He was also behind the Knight being captured. She rubbed her eyebrow, trying to dispel her worries, but they kept growing until she couldn't keep them to herself any more. It was all she could do to stay quiet until the shadow passed out of sight.

"How much does Aurek know?" she asked. "I mean, he accepted Quin was from Lyrion, but what if Aurek knows he's connected to the Knight? This could be a trap."

Even Darrion cringed. "She's right."

Gawain gave her hand a comforting squeeze. "Aurek's influence has been stretching remarkably far lately. Who knows how far his knowledge goes?"

"What do we do?" Kaela whispered. "We're fine as long as we aren't seen, but if Aurek expects us —"

Callan shook her head. "He won't expect all of you. My grandfather wouldn't have allowed it. I don't even think Aurek knows Quin is coming with me. The Merithian officer was surprised by his presence earlier."