Damarae

The door slammed behind Gawain. It echoed all the way to his soul.

"Westenmere. What the hell are you doing here?" Darrion growled. Gawain winced and turned around.

Quin spun in place and stalked back to the door. He stopped without opening it, turned away, only to return and repeat the ritual a few more times. His hand dropped from the handle. He lifted it once more. Finally he sobbed and drummed his head against the door in a steady rhythm.

Kaela shot up and tried to pull him away, but he stood fast. Gawain had to help her drag him from the door. Quin pressed his hands to the sides of his head and released a pained groan, but stopped resisting. Gawain frowned, trying to figure out what was wrong.

Quin's soul withered as if part of it had died. His eyes were glassy.

Oh no.

Gawain grasped his shoulders, as much to support Quin as keep himself steady. "What did Callan do?"

"She's making me leave," he said, voice wobbling.

Gawain pinched his eyes closed. Why was he surprised? Someone of Callan's intelligence would easily find a way to get what she wanted. She'd want Quin safely out of Caranth. So what did she do?

His heart broke at the answer's simplicity.

Darrion frowned. "How can you leave without having to kill—" He stopped and rubbed a hand down his face. "She lied."

"Convincingly," Quin confirmed. "I can't disobey her, unless I can prove she won't survive killing Aurek. Even if I could, she wishes me to live, so I can't deny her that."

"So she dies..." Gawain said, his voice fading away. He didn't bother to finish. The consternation on everyone's face made it clear they'd come to his realization too. Callan was going to her death, and she'd go there alone.

No true Nordian should experience that.

Damned if he'd let it happen. He yanked the door open and stalked through the jubilant public area into Callan's room. Sure enough, Keill stood there, shouting at her about the Nordians' presence in the castle. She listened, face down-cast. The huge conical crown she wore stabbed upwards, further weighing on her.

She didn't deserve this.

Gawain sent a menacing glare at the elves. "Out!" he barked.

He didn't need to repeat himself.

Elves shrieked in their rush to escape the crazed half-blood. Seconds later, only Eoin and King Keill remained, flanking a shocked Callan.

He stalked over, wanting to shake her. Maybe it would rattle loose some sense. Her crown made him stop at grabbing her hands. Shaking her with that monstrosity on would snap her neck.

"Are you insane?"

"I won't let him die!" she shouted back.

Gawain sighed in frustration and pulled her into his arms. "You poor fool," he whispered.

The king frowned at her. "What did you do?"

She pressed her face to Gawain's chest, hiding.

"She sent Westenmere away," Gawain stated, eyeing him.

Keill's face reddened. "You little idiot! Now it's all ruined!"

Her head lifted slowly. "What do you mean?"

"You've all but admitted to treason! How will we influence Aurek now, hmm? By asking nicely?"

Callan lifted her chin more, her eyes widening. Her crown's weight drew her further back until she took a step. She hadn't told Keill of her plans. That much was certain. She opened her mouth to explain, but Keill cut her off.

"You better find a way to fix this," he snapped.

Gawain tightened his hold on her. "Sire, I'm sure you forget to mention Aurek will kill her for betraying him. Or did you forget you're supposed to care about her?"

She staggered out of his embrace. Her gaze jumped between them while she struggled to comprehend the depth of Keill's dishonesty.

"Callan, look at me," Gawain ordered, going to her and taking her face between his hands. Terror dulled the light in her eyes, making them resemble two black stones. "Vaena a vero damarae," he murmured in Nordian. I'm staying with you.

She paled further. Any more of this and she'd faint. "No," she stated. "You'll die. The Knight needs you."

"I can't leave you to go through this alone."

"You must," she stated, leaning up and kissing his cheek. "I beg you. Please go. Be safe."

Eoin rushed forward and tore Gawain away from her, shoving him back through the door.

Gawain balled his fists, but Eoin pre-empted him.

"If you stay one second longer. If you say anything more, you can forget about saving your precious Knight."

Rakaln.

Gawain's choices tore him in two. He longed to be with Callan, but he couldn't endanger the rescue.

He backed away, keeping his eyes on the door. It didn't move. She wouldn't change her mind about killing Aurek. Nor would she change her mind about Gawain having to leave.

With a growl of frustration, he turned from Callan's room and stormed back to his preparations.

No one asked how his attempt had gone. They mutely resumed arming themselves. Kaela's soft keens and sobs were the only sounds above the clangs and rustles. They finished and went to the living area to await Callan's walk to her doom.

Thanks for reading! Copy-pasting to Wattpad has been making words disappear and run together even if it's correct in my Word doc. I did check that everything's okay, but if you do find any errors in this section, please let me know so I can fix it! 

Otherwise, let me know what you thought of Gawain offering to let himself die with Callan? What do you think will happen next? And while you're sticking around to comment, please click on the star to vote.